Giving permission to users

Clark Taylor April 19, 2018

Hello, 

I am trying to give one my clients limited access to a Jira Kanban board. I created a new permission scheme, added the project to the scheme.

I also created a group and added the client to both Jira and the group.

On the permission scheme for the project, I added the group (which my client is in) to many items including all of the "issue permissions". 

The client can log in, create issues, move issues etc. 

HOWEVER, here is the problem - the client is unable to move an issue higher or lower within each column. Is there any way to give them this permission? I cannot seem to figure it out. 

Best,

Clark

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2018

What is the filter you are using for this board?  I would recommend following the steps in Configuring filters to see how you can find the filter that board is using.

I ask because there are two possible things that can go wrong here:

1. Your filter on the board is not using the 'order by rank asc' in the end of the JQL filter.  You can do this with Jira Software boards, but if you don't have that in your filter, you can't drag and drop issues to change their Rank.   An issue's Rank field is what determines that issues arrangement on that board.   If this happens, no one can change the order of issues on this board.   However this is easy to fix if you are a board administrator.  Just visiting the Configure Board page will have a button to "Add Order by Rank" to the saved filter to resolve this.
  2. Depending on which project(s) your JQL filter returns will determine where that user will need the Edit Issue permission.  If your filter specifies exactly 2 projects, the user needs that permission in both projects.  If your filter does not specify a project, then it's possible your query could pull issues from all projects in Jira, in which case, they would need that permission in every project.   In this case, if only this user is effected, but other users are not, it seems more likely to be a permissions issue of that user.
0 votes
Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2018

@Clark Taylor Did you give them the permission to Schedule Issues as well?

Suggest an answer