Getting duplicate slack notifications from JIRA

Brendan January 8, 2018

Recently we have started to get double comment posts from JIRA into our Slack channels.

We are running JIRA Cloud and using the project integration to create the desired project-channel associations.  Everything was working as expected last year and has only started to behave this way recently.

I've reviewed all project integration settings and can't see anything wrong and there haven't been any changes we've made.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas on what we might be able to do to correct this behaviour?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Brendan January 11, 2018

Thanks Soon Van. 

I followed up with JIRA Support and it appears that they know about this issue and are investigating. 

Here is a link to the bug report ticket -- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-68452

If anyone else is experiencing this issue, please go to the bug ticket and vote it up.

ivanleoncz June 26, 2019

The issue still happens and it's June, 2019.
I wonder why did they put the issue as resolved :)...

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2019

Hi @ivanleoncz ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Sorry for the late reply but you added your answer to a thread that was already marked as solved.

The bug ticket was actually solved. As you can read in the last comment:

We had the same issue, Then I tried

/jira info

on the channel that I was getting duplicate messages on and clicked on the link (Manage Subscriptions). we had two subscriptions to the same project under project subscriptions subscribed by the same channel. Deleted one of them and we no longer receive duplicate notifications from Jira.

Can you check whether or not it is the same for you, otherwise please follow the below thread where a similar issue is being reported again:

Cheers,
Dario

Like # people like this
Alejandra González December 30, 2020

Hi @Dario B 

Im recently having issue with dup messages in slack. I've checked the comment above but I have not dup subscriptions. Is there any current bug?

Thank you

10 votes
Monico Moreno June 5, 2019

sometimes this occurs if you've accidentally added the jira bot to the channel twice.  i did this when I installed the jira-cloud app, still had the jira message (prompt) to connect a channel, removed the app b/c i thought it wasn't going to work, reinstalled the app, got another message (prompt) to connect a channel, so unwittingly at this point and thinking I was being thorough, I connected my slack channel using both messages (prompts).  that ended up adding the bot twice.  

solution: i went to the slack channel (where I added the jira bot twice), used the `/jira manage` command, it gave me a message with a link to manage the channel, which took me to page in the atlassian.com domain where I found the dup entries.  so I deleted one and problem was solved. 🙌

hope this helps. 

Ibtissam Boutahi September 4, 2019

thank you, it helps

Like # people like this
Mouli October 14, 2019

Thanks.. helps..

Like Monico Moreno likes this
Dan Stoodley December 19, 2019

This was my issue.  Thank you

Like Monico Moreno likes this
Andi Taufiq May 19, 2020

Thanks for your finding, it's working for me as well. 

0 votes
Soon Van January 10, 2018

Seeing the exact same thing as what you describe. No changes made from our end, it just started up with double-posting.

Someone else here is as well: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-Cloud-comments-notified-twice-in-Slack/qaq-p/702146

Suggest an answer