Getting a list of all users through REST API

Karen Bennett October 19, 2017

I want to create a new Project through the REST API and assign the Project Lead.  This means I need to use the /user/picker or /user/search endpoints so the user can select any active user in JIRA.

Both endpoints have a mandatory username/query parameter with an implicit leading wildcard.  This means I can't construct a list of users programatically by sending off a query for each letter in the alphabet as /user/search?username=a returns Adam and Edward.

This is a pretty basic thing to do so I'm sure others have come across the same problem.

Thanks.

2 answers

2 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2017

Hi Karen,

This issue has been reported in the following case:

Please note, from the request, it does mention the following:

In various environments, it has been observed that setting username to one of the following characters will do the trick:

• /rest/api/latest/user/search?username="" (double quotes)
  • /rest/api/latest/user/search?username='' (single quotes)
  • /rest/api/latest/user/search?username=. (dot)
  • /rest/api/latest/user/search?username=% (percent)
  • /rest/api/latest/user/search?username=_ (underscore)

Also, maxResults and startAt seem to be functioning.

You can give this a try in your environment and see if you're able to get any further, but do note that it doesn't seem to work for all Jira setups.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

1 vote
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2017

Hi Karen,

I am now sure whether you are using Cloud or not, however you should be able to get the list of all the assignable users for a project by using:

../rest/api/2/user/assignable/search?project=PROJECT_KEY

For details please see:

https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/#api/2/user-findAssignableUsers

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Dario
Atlassian Cloud Support

Dario B
Atlassian Team
October 19, 2017

Actually the same endpoint exists for JIRA Server too:

https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/server/#api/2/user-findAssignableUsers

Suggest an answer