Get email notifications when a new issue is raised against an epic

Donald Jones May 28, 2015

Using JIRA 5.2.11.

By default notifications are only sent if you watch the specific issue. However some use cases that we would like to consider is whether - assuming that a user is assigned as a watcher of an EPIC:

• they get notified when Bugs / Stories are added / removed from that Epic.
  • They could automatically get notifications of changes to issues under an epic (or would they have to manually add themselves when they discover issues added to the epic.

I can't see this being supported in 5.2.11, but is it something that is improved and available in later versions of JIRA, or is there a plugin which provides this functionality?

5 answers

0 votes
Josh Saltz May 16, 2018

For when issues are Added to an epic, you could set up a filter that finds any issues created in the last X time frame for that epic

"Epic Link" = <EPIC> and createdDate > -1m

Then create a personal subscription to that filter the runs every X time frame that would send you any of the issues returned in the filter.

Chron expression for every 1m "0 0/1 * * * ?"

If you only want the notifications to be sent out to the person who the issue is assigned to in the epic then amend the JQL of the filter to be 

"Epic Link" = <EPIC> and createdDate > -1m and assignee=currentUser()

And you could amend the subscription from a personal subscription to one for all the users in a particular group.  Just make sure you don't check the email this filter even if there are no issues found.

I'd have to think a little more to determine how to do it for issues being removed from an epic.  If you didn't actually remove them and you just canceled/closed them you can take the JQL above and amend it relatively easily to return the ones created in the last minute OR canceled/completed/closed or whatever status you want in the last minute.

0 votes
Philip Culver January 13, 2017

I'd love to see this feature. Has anyone found any work-arounds for this? Thanks.

0 votes
Alex Alex June 23, 2016

Has anyone figured out how to do this? I am looking for the same use case

0 votes
Dieter Blomme October 23, 2015

I'm interested in this as well.

0 votes
Alex Breen September 10, 2015

Is this not possible?

Suggest an answer