Get create issue meta deprecated period

Flo February 17, 2020

Hi,

I've seen createmeta endpoint being deprecated in Jira Software 8.4 :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracore/jira-software-8-5-rest-api-change-log-978216326.html

I didn't find any info regarding the depreciation period. When should we expect this method to be removed ?

What will be returned by the endpoint once the method is removed ?

Thanks ! 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2020

Hi Flo,

I understand you are looking to find more information on when this particular endpoint will be removed.  We have a part about such changes to REST API resources I recommend over in Atlassian REST API policy.

The minimum period of time appears to be 6 months between deprecation notice and when this endpoint will actually stop working.  I believe this starts when 8.4 reaches its general release, which according to the release notes for Jira Server 8.4 was 9 September 2019.  That said the policy is written in such a way that there could be other policies that conflict here in which case the most restrictive policy is applied.  Also if there is a security problem with an endpoint, these could be removed sooner, but in this case I am not aware of any such vulnerability at this time.

As for what response is returned when this endpoint is completely discontinued, well, I'm not exactly sure yet. I would expect it to return something in the nature of an HTTP 400 error for bad request, but only once this 6 month period has passed and then only in a newer version of Jira Server that is released after that 6 month period.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Flo February 26, 2020

Thanks for your reply.

From my understanding, there is no way to know at the moment what will be returned exactly when the method will be removed, which means I can't handle that case in my code as of today. The best way to handle that is to look closely at the release notes for the next versions and then release a new version of my app when the method will be removed. 

Suggest an answer