Generate reports

Mark Bowden December 9, 2014

I would like to generate simple reports based on fields from issues within Jira. So as Epics are created, a few custom fields are created and then have to be filled in. 

Once these fields are filled in (they are mainly text based, so need to be recreated word for word) I would like to export them to a template that I can hand over to sales / engineering so they don't have to wade through JIRA to find the info they need. 

5 answers

1 vote
Pedro Rodrigues February 2, 2015

Hello Mark,

This is a late response, but you might find it usefull:

The Xporter for JIRA (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.xpandit.plugins.jiraxporter) is a great JIRA Utility. You can use it to export the content of a single or multiples issues to PDF, DOCX, RFT, ODT, PNG and SVG files.

You can define templates in DOCX, RTF or ODT files, indicating the placeholders of the issues fields you want to export - like native fields, custom fields or even attachments - upload and configure them through JIRA Administration, and have the issue contents exported by the plugin automatically,

Using the Xporter for JIRA you can select the template and the output format. And on the Security Permissions area you can even restrict the Plugin functionality and templates to specific projects, users and issue types.

Also, on the new release that will soon become available, a new feature will be implemented, becoming possible to set a Workflow Post-function that automatically generates and exports a file of the issue contents, attaching it to the issue, when certain user defined conditions are matched.

Try it now.

Best Regards,

PMRodrigues

1 vote
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2014

Nic is right. Please provide a little more detail of what you're trying to do.

There are several different plugins which can help you make generate simple reports based on fields from issues within Jira. A plugin we use to make nicely formatted reports of issues is  Xporter for Jira. There are other plugins which do similar things.

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2015

PDF View Plugin is a JIRA add-on to export custom PDF documents from all JIRA data (issues, fields, sprints, epics, components, versions, Tempo, Service Desk, and this list would be very-very long) using powerful PDF templates.

You can even automate your "hand over to sales / engineering" step like this:

1. Introduce a new workflow transition (if it does not exist yet) that is done when "these fields are filled in".
  2. Use the PDF Automation Plugin (which is a free companion of the PDF View Plugin) so that these transitions trigger the "Send PDF" action. This automation action can generate the PDF file, and send it as an email attachment to the configured email addresses. All aspects of the emails (subject, body, etc.) is customizable, so you can 100% automate your handover process. (Full tutorial is available here.)
0 votes
Mark Bowden December 10, 2014

So what I would like to do is fill in a document template with data from issues in Jira. It's a case of simply mapping one field to a table in a Word document. However, I need to be able to select certain fields from the issues, not the whole issue.

I think I have found the plugin that I want in: Automated Attachments

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2014

I'm not sure what you're asking for here.  I see it's "some fields from some issues", but there's not much more to go on here.

Maybe if you started with a standard JIRA output and you can explain what is doesn't do for you - e.g. Go to the issue navigator, search for the issues you want to report on, make sure you include the columns you need to see in the output, and work from there?

Suggest an answer