GH 6 how to estimate non closed issues

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2012

In GH6 one of the Estimation Statistics is the original estimate. What happen if an issue is not Done in a sprint? We have a setting that the Original Estimate can not be changed once someone starts loggin work againts an issue (option Legacy Mode for Time Tracking is ON).

For example original estimate for issue A at Sprint 1 was 10 hrs. logged effort was 9 hrs. but the issue was not closed in Sprint 1. For planning the next Sprint I need this issue to have a original estimate of 1 hr. or whatever the value the programmer set for the remaining estimate.

Or maybe I have to turn legacy mode OFF, reset the original estimate, and turn it back ON?

I think the best way should be to have Remaining Estimate as one of the Estimation options for coping with this scenario where an issue is not closed in a sprint and span more than a sprint.

Comments?

1 answer

0 votes
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2012

That smells a little to me. If we are talking stories then sub tasks should not span sprints. The same should be true of tasks really. A team should only commit to what they think they can achieve in a Sprint.

Realistically of course sometimes things will not be done and there will still be work left on some tasks. I suggest in these hopefully rare cases you could clone the task and manaully complete the original estimate to be the remaining estimate. You could link the 2 JIRA sub-tasks and then close the first 90% done one.

Suggest an answer