For Jira Version upgrade what all need to be tested in Staging/Production?

Vinay Sharma January 6, 2020

Are there any suggested things, which need to be tested in Staging or Production to make sure that Jira Software Version upgrade was successful. Pls. suggest

2 answers

0 votes
Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2020

Hi @Vinay Sharma 

My suggestion, is to test first the basic functionalities:

1. Login
  2. Create issue
  3. Edit issue
  4. Transition issue
  5. Close/Resolve issue
  6. Delete issue
  7. Make sure email notifications of all the above actions being sent.

These are the basic things you want to make sure works so the regular users will be able to work.

Continue tests on:

1. Create dashboard
  2. Add gadget to dashboard
  3. Check gadgets like "burn down chart" that the gadget name is correct and not "__MSG_gadget" (this happens a lot)
  4. Remove gadget
  5. Delete dashboard
  6. Make sure all plugin enabled
  7. Make sure all plugins are supported the new version.
  8. Test your integration applications: git, bitbucket, bamboo, jenkins, etc... make sure the integrations works and shows the info they should in jira.
  9. Check mail handlers (if you have), send mail and see that tickets are open.

That cover the important things for my opinion.

i didn't encounter cases when all of these works and something else is broken.

0 votes
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2020

Hi @Vinay Sharma , 

You may refer to the following checklist :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrade-checklist-966063320.html

One of the most important steps is to ensure all apps are compatible with the current version that you are using. Thus, please ensure to access the Manage Apps page and upgrade or remove any incompatible or outdated apps. 

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2020

@Adrian Stephen 

These steps are before the upgrade, if i understand right, @Vinay Sharma asks for post upgrade tests

Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2020

@Nir Haimov  there is a section at the end for Post-upgrade 

Suggest an answer