Filtering via avatars on board / backlog

Joost van der Meijden July 30, 2019

When I view the board or backlog it is possible to filter issues by assignee. You click the user avatar and you see all issues which have the currently selected user as assignee.

Is it possible to let that filter show issues reported by that user? Or where the user was an assignee in the past. I also created an extra user field and it would be nice if it also filters on that field.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2019

Hi Joost,

The click function on those avatars you see on that board are hard coded to only filter on the current assignee.  They cannot be modified directly to change that within the configuration options of the board itself.

However right next to those avatars exists Quick filters.  These can be configured on a per board basis.  At least that is true for Classic boards.  Unfortunately that is not the case for next-gen projects currently.  Next-gen project boards do not have the same quick filter functionality presently.

If you're using a classic project, you can edit the board, and go to the quick filters section.  From there you could create a quick filter with a JQL search such as

assignee was jsmith

to see any issues that have ever listed that user as the assignee (past or present).  Or something more dynamic like

assignee was currentuser()

Which would allow you to see only issues that the currently logged in user was an assignee on, or currently is the assignee on.  The same can be done in regards to the reporter field as well.  Not all fields will be able to use the WAS operator, but it might be something you could use on a classic project.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer