Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Filter task without person assigned

From the backlog, how can I filter the tasks that still do NOT have an assigned person? I don't see how to do it. 

That is, if I click avatars, the tasks of those people are filtered, OK, but if I want to locate those that have not yet been assigned to anyone, how can I do it?

Perhaps I could (albeit unorthodox) modify the url by hand, https://xx.atlassian.net/jira/software/projects/xx/boards/xx/backlog?assignee=WHATEVER

Thank you!!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk Community Leader Aug 09, 2022

Hi Alberto - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What type of project are you using? Company-managed? Team-managed? 

You should be able to create a Quick Filter for Company-managed.

Hi, it's a team-managed project, maybe that's the issue? Thanks!

John Funk Community Leader Aug 09, 2022

Yep, that's the problem. Is there not an option to group by Assignee? 

Oh yes there it is, it could be useful but it's only on the Board, but there are only the sprint-tasks and the unassigned tasks i got are not yet in the sprint... 

I'll check what to do now (live with it or upgrade to company managed).

Thanks a lot!

Like John Funk likes this

FYI In the end I used a low-tech solution, I added the word "Unasigned" to the titles of unassigned tasks so I can filter them with the search box. I'm not proud but it works for me...

John Funk Community Leader Aug 10, 2022

You could automate adding the term (and probably taking it way) with an automation rule. It's the taking it way part that would be a tad but harder because you would need to substring it out. 

Or you could add a custom field (radio button probably) with the value or yes or no. You can hide the field and toggle it on and off using a simple automation rule checking for the value of the assignee. 

Like Alberto likes this
0 votes
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Aug 09, 2022

Hi @Alberto,

Welcome to Atlassian Community! 

Your board should show an avatar to unassigned like this:

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.56.29 AM.png

And yes, you could change the URL as well, you would then want to set it to"

https://xx.atlassian.net/jira/software/projects/xx/boards/xx/backlog?assignee=_unassigned_

Hi mmm I don't see that avatar (i see one but just to add people). 

image.png

And the url (I mean adding _unassigned_) doesn't work for me... weird... 

Thanks!

Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Aug 09, 2022

If you click on the avatar with the plus sign on it you should have an option for unassigned.

Nope... by clicking on that avatar I can only add people, it does not serve to filter... thanks anyway. I think i have to live without the funcionality :(

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events