Filter for Kanbanboard to view all issues with a specific label in the epic

David Verbeure December 7, 2022

I want to create a filter for Filter for Kanbanboard to view all issues with a specific label in the epic

1 answer

1 vote
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2022

Hi @David Verbeure - Are you saying that you want something where it simultaneously filters a single epic and all issues with a specific label within that epic?  You could do something like this:

"Epic Link" = ABC-123 AND labels IN (YOURLABEL)
David Verbeure December 8, 2022

No, I want to create a filter for the kanban board in which I see all tasks from epics with a specific label

David Verbeure December 8, 2022

another possibility would be to copy the labels from epics to the child tasks.
but how do i do this?

Like Mark Segall likes this
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2022

Yes - Sadly, you won't be able to perform a double query like that where you're looking for epics with label x followed up by all of their respective children.  However, your alternative may work theoretically with some Jira Automation. 

• TRIGGER: Field Value Changed (Epic Link)
  • ACTION: Edit Issue (Labels)
    • {{issue.Epic Link.Labels}}

Note - I could not get this to work in the server environment I have available to me.  I ran into a couple issues

1. It didn't accept the above as a smart value because of the space in Epic Link.  Instead I had to use {{issue.customfield_xxxxx.labels}}
  2. Failed when the Epic had more than one label as it tried to read the multiple values as literal and failed because it would come across as "label1, label2" which contains a space. 

Not all flavors of server are the same so this may work for you, but if it doesn't, hopefully my notes help explain why.

Suggest an answer