Filter Blocked Issue List where Blockers are Resolved

kwicker April 5, 2021

I am working on a collaborative project across several, separately-managed teams. A few issues across teams are going to be blockers, so I am trying to find a low key way to surface just a list of all blocked issues. It doesn't have to be anything visual (I know there are solutions for this in place) - just a simple filter that we can keep on a Confluence page.

I have a filter where it is displaying a list of blocked issues in this one project (issueLinkType = "is blocked by"). However, I only want to track issues that are CURRENTLY blocked, not just blocked overall - such as if the "Blocked" issue is marked as DONE, the "Is Blocked By" issue should not show up on my filter because it is technically no longer blocked (the blocker has been removed). If the "Blocked" issue(s) is anything other than DONE, the "Is Blocked By" issue should show up on my filter. I still want to keep historical records of the blockers, so I don't want to have to remove those associations.

Essentially something like - issueLinkType is "is blocked by" and linkedIssues is not "Done"

Any suggestions?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

My understanding of the requirement is that you want to show issues where the linked issue is unresolved.

Many of the answers so far are only showing you how to limit the results based on the status or resolution of the issue you want to display in the search, not status on the other side of the link.

I'm not a cloud user, but based on my exploration so far, I don't think that this is possible out of the box.

On Server, that's only possible with 3rd parting JQL function like scriptrunner:

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf('resolution is empty','blocks' )

With scriptrunner cloud, there is an enhanced search functionality that I've never used but should be relatively similar: https://docs.adaptavist.com/sr4jc/latest/scriptrunner-enhanced-search/enhanced-search-included-functions#id-.EnhancedSearchIncludedFunctionsvCurrent-linkedIssuesOf

1 vote
Andrew Kendris
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2021

Hello @kwicker I believe the only missing criteria you'll need to add to your JQL is Resolution = "Unresolved". With this addition, you will filter out all the linked issues that are blocked and resolved.  

kwicker April 7, 2021

Thanks, @Andrew Kendris - I tried this addition. This is my JQL to find a list of issues that are blocked by another issue, and are still waiting to be completed:

Project = XYZ AND issueLinkType = "is blocked by" AND Resolution = "Unresolved" AND status != "done" 

However, this is still pulling in issues marked as "blocked by" where the blocker is marked as "Done" - it's as if the "resolution" applies to the blocked issue and not the blocker issue. When the blocked ticket is marked as done, then the resolution reads as "Resolved".

We're looking for something like - 

Issue is included in the filter when:

Blocker status != Done

Blocked status != Done

Issue is not included in the filter when:

Blocker status = Done

Blocked status !=Done or = Done

Is this possible?

Andrew Kendris
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2021

I believe this is possible with some nested conditions.  Just doing some trial and error and want to see if this would work:

project in (XYZ) AND (issueLinkType = "is blocked by" OR issueLinkType = "blocks") AND Resolution = Unresolved

kwicker April 8, 2021

Thank you, I really appreciate it - I tried that one but it still pulls in blocked issues whose blocked issues are resolved. 

Tanya L Christensen April 8, 2021

As a side note, I prefer to use:

resolution is EMPTY 

This ensures to capture the ones that jira believes are not done. We had a case on one of our instances where in import ended up making an actual resolution called "Unresolved".  This made some filters very confusing until we found and removed it. 

Best of luck with your searches. 

Tanya 

Like Andrew Kendris likes this
0 votes
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 6, 2021

Hi @kwicker 

Agree with the previous comment. Besides, you can add other statuses that can block the issue (as depicted below). For this option, you can try Dynamic Filters: JQL Replacer add-on. It is developed by my team to set queries without JQL.

dynamic.filter.png

Hope you find it helpful.

Regards

Suggest an answer