Field 10204 does not exist or you don't have permission to view it

Sasha K May 28, 2020

Hi,

I am trying to create an issue where 3 custom fields(select fields) are mandatory. To get options for the custom field, I use API : /rest/api/3/customField/10204/option
I get response even the user has administrator access:

{
"errorMessages": [
"Field 10204 does not exist or you don't have permission to view it."
],
"errors": {}
}

Thanks in advance.

3 answers

0 votes
Todd Thelin June 22, 2020

Duplicate comment

0 votes
Todd Thelin June 22, 2020

I had to go away from using the custom_field name and use the name of the actual custom field. So instead of custom_field_10204, I used AE. This gave me all that I needed for the data pull, but it is weird. When on the Next-Gen board, the custom_field_10204 is used. On the classic board, is the name of the field, in this case AE.

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2020

Hello @Sasha K ,

Thanks for reaching out, and the error you encountered usually indicates an issue with the custom fields context settings or the global permission settings for the user running the call.

First Check and verify that you have the "Administer Jira" Global permission, as covered in the API documentation for this endpoint "GET /rest/api/3/customField/{fieldId}/option" the permissions requirements are:

Permissions required: Administer Jira global permission.

Next, point to check covered in the doc:

Only options from the global context are returned. 

Can you  navigate to custom field click on configure > click on edit configuration > and make sure that you have selected the global context to apply to all issues in Jira and modify to verify if this is the case.  

Q quick link to the "edit configuration" option will be located at:

• https://<YOUR_BASE_URL>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ConfigureCustomField!default.jspa?customFieldId=10204

Let me know what you find.

Regards,
Earl

Todd Thelin May 29, 2020

I still do not see my customfield with this change. By the way, it was already global and applied to all issues.

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2020

Hi @Todd Thelin ,

Thanks for the info and it sounds like you are running into a similar issue to @Sasha K , but still seeing issues after checking the field context.

First I just wanted to confirm you also checked the global permission noted above, and that you modified the custom field ID to match your fields settings when navigating tot the settings. 

I also want to confirm the field type, what is the Field type you are looking at?  Is the custom field with the select list options you are doing the call against native to Jira as one of the built in Select lists OR is it a custom Field created via a Connect App.  As the endpoint  "GET /rest/api/3/customField/{fieldId}/option" notes:

Note that this operation only works for issue field select list options created in Jira or using operations from the Issue custom field options resource, it cannot be used with issue field select list options created by Connect apps.

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events