Failed Jira import - How to reset?

fabien-ruffin January 13, 2021

Hi there,

I have tried to restore a backup from a jira cloud instance to another Jira cloud instance. The import failed at the step of importing users and I am now presented with the following message:

"An error occured during the import process.

Import again with a different backup file or get in touch with our support team. Include the steps you followed, along with any unique characteristics of your Jira setup.

• Jira is locked for import but no import could be found. This is likely to be a temporary issue and should clear up within one minute. If you continue to see this error, please contact support."

My new Jira instance is not pretty much bricked. Is there a way to reset it so I can try another way of moving my data around? (importing again doesn't solve the problem)

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

I'm afraid that only Atlassian will be able to fix this if you don't have any other backup available that works and your instance is locked up.

i'll see if I can loop them in on this as you are on a Free plan you will not be able to raise a support ticket.

Or! You can try it throug your billing options it seems:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/reset-and-delete-all-data-from-your-cloud-site-691012037.html

fabien-ruffin January 15, 2021

Thanks Dirk!

Yes, we are on the free plan for this one as this was a sandbox to test a migration.

I have gone ahead and followed your suggestion to go through the billing options, but it looks like this could take a month to reset (the article seems somewhat out of date).

When running the import again, I have noticed that it crashes when importing users. I'm not sure if this is because I have more users in the backup than what is allowed with the free plan or if this was an issue with the data itself.

Anyway, I ended up editing the "entities.xml" file from the export to remove all the user-related entities and managed to import successfully. This has probably broken the data somehow, but that's ok as I was just trying to get back in to delete everything anyway.

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Deleted user June 1, 2022

Hi Fabien,

I stumbled into the same issue and I've been trying to fix it for days, now I'm trying your solution but I'm not clear what you mean by "remove all the user-related entities" in the xml. Should I literally delete all the lines where the word "user" is found?

Thanks in advance

0 votes
Yassin BEN-NACEUR _FlowZess_ March 21, 2021

The Cloud to Cloud Migration process is really bad weather you have free, standard or premium plan.

• You can not migrate specific projects since you can only zip everything ort nothing. 
  • If your Import fails, you don't get details error messages your instance gets locked. In my case it did not unlock itself and I had to edit the Zip manually same like Fabien did.
  • You can only overwrite Data. So old projects in your target instance will get deleted.
  • If you identify the problem and fix it in your source instance and would like to generate a new backup to test again, you will blocked for 48 Hours and won't be able to make another export.

I don't recommend to use your production site for testing data migration between cloud instances.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events