Export All CustomFields

JD Lobue March 1, 2021

Anyone know of a way to get an export of all the custom fields in our instance?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2021

Would it be an option to make a simple REST-API call and beautify the output with some sort of editor?
https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issue-fields/
probably this provides a better formatted output (by pagination):
https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issue-fields/#api-rest-api-3-field-search-get

Might all not be pretty and needs polishing what you get back from API - but presumably a bit faster than copying 20 lines per page, am I missing something obvious by this suggestion?

Regards,
Daniel

Victor Barros August 30, 2022

Perfect! I will save this for later! Thanks!

1 vote
Victor Barros August 30, 2022

Thank you @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- this really helped a lot.

I REALLY recommend Optimizer for Jira

It's a fast solution for a need.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Do you mean a list of all the fields available, or do you want the issue data from them?

JD Lobue March 1, 2021

I want to dump out all the customFields in our instance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

I am sorry, but that does not answer the question.  Do you want a list of customfields or the issue data?

JD Lobue March 1, 2021

I want a list of all custom fields......How does that not answer your question? Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

That does answer the question of "do you want a list of fields or the issue data", unlike "I want to dump out all the customfields"

There is no list of custom field export function in Jira, most of us simply scrape it out of the admin screen.  It's not often people want a list like that though, it's only really of use when you're starting some tidying up or doing migration and merges.  When doing migrations and merges though, we tend to use tools like Configuration Manager or Project Configurator - these can list all the fields in a single place.

Like # people like this
JD Lobue March 1, 2021

Trying to dump to Excel the list of 800 - 1000 custom fields seems like a task in the admin screen when you only show 20 per screen. Not sure I want to waste my time there. Can you point me where to access the tools Configuration Manager or Project Configurator in the cloud version that you are referencing? Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

You're right, 20 lines at a time really is a pain in the neck

Configuration Manager and Project Configurator are both marketplace apps, there are some others that help with migrations, but I'm not sure if they'll drop out a list of fields.  I should also be explicit - I work for the company that turns out of of them.

You might also want to check out Optimiser for Jira - it has a section on custom fields that might be more helpful than a flat list.

Like Victor Barros likes this
JD Lobue March 3, 2021

Thanks, Nic. I'll take a look.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders