Existing Bitbucket Team Account: How to Add JIRA OnDemand (and Not the Other Way Around)?

Scott Wade June 11, 2014

I currently find no way to create a new JIRA OnDemand account and have it as part of the setup process use an existing Bitbucket Team Account (which is also ours) with the same account name instead of creating a new Team Account because the account name is already taken.

When JIRA OnDemand is setup, it then determines if the OnDemand account name is already taken as a Bitbucket Team Account name, and if so, creates a new close-but-modified account name.

What if your existing Bitbucket Team Account name is already taken because YOU own the account and WANT it to match the account name your are using and want for your OnDemand account name.

Can you do the process in reverse, starting with existing Bitbucket then add OnDemand -- and not run into this same issue, OR, is there a way to stop OnDemand from making a new Bitbucket Team Account and just using one that already exists with the same name when you own both?

Here's how the docs state the process:

When you add Bitbucket to JIRA OnDemand, Atlassian automatically creates a Bitbucket team account based on your JIRA OnDemand instance name. Atlassian tries to give your Bitbucket team account the same name as your JIRA Atlassian OnDemand account. Atlassian first determines if your Atlassian OnDemand account name is available as a Bitbucket account. If the account name is available, Atlassian creates the Bitbucket new account under that name. If the account name is taken on Bitbucket, Atlassian creates a account by appending -ondemand to your Atlassian OnDemand.

from https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Getting+started+with+Bitbucket+and+OnDemand

2 answers

0 votes
Scott Wade June 27, 2014

Thanks for the clarification. I did end up finally just creating an OnDemand account. I'm currently evaluating and will be configuring the DVCS Connector as you have suggested and just see where it leads. Thanks!

0 votes
aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2014

Hi Scott,

My apologies for the confusion in our processes. We're re-working how this all comes together down the road. For now, if you have an existing Bitbucket account, you'd be better off simply leaving it as-is, and creating an OnDemand JIRA account. The billing team can then sync up your billing date so that, while not on the exact same invoice, you'd get billed at the same date every month.

Following that, you'd then setup the DVCS Connector/Bitbucket integration manually.

The only thing you'd end up missing in this process is the application switcher in the upper left of Bitbucket wouldn't show your other products, but that would be all.

If you run into trouble with this, support can help you get it all lined up.

Suggest an answer