Every time Server restarts Jira looses everything and goes back to Setup.

Scott Patterson November 16, 2020

It seems Jira Server is not persistent. I have had to reboot the server running it twice so far (once due to an error and once due to it being moved).
Both times I have been kicked back to the setup page and lost all the data that was saved.
Am I the only one with this issue ?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

What are you doing at shutdown or restart that destroys the database (or sets up a new connection to one)?

Scott Patterson November 16, 2020

The first time Jira was just giving me an Error page. I ran shutdown-jira.bat and restarted the OS. 
Second time Jira had not been running for days (after again running shutdown-jira.bat) and i needed to move so i shutdown the OS and rebooted it in the new location where i got the same setup page.
I have checked the home directory which still has the dbconfig file and the correct settings to connect to the database but when Jira restarted with the OS is just gives me the setup page.
After the first time this happened I have not managed to restore the data and just plugged in some test projects and issues so I'm not looking to restore anything,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Ok, well, Jira goes into its setup routine when you connect it to an empty database or have not got a valid dbconfig.xml. 

I suspect you've ruled out the second possibility as the file has the rright data in it but I would want to check that Jira can read the current dbconfig.xml file (is it owned by the user you are running Jira as?  And are the permissions for read and write?)

So that takes us to "is the database empty"?  If so, what is clearing it out?  (There's no code for dropping tables in Jira - it's not the application)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events