Estimating in story points, tracking against Time Remaining

danphod August 10, 2015

A question on Agile 6.4

I've read several pages from Atlasssian on the benefits of estimating using story points, but burning down using time (for example, this post).

I'm not sure how this works in JIRA Agile. 

In my testing, I've configured a board to use Story Points as the estimation statistic, and Remaining Estimate and Time Spent for time tracking.

During planning, we assign story points to the sprints stories, and start the sprint (JIRA then complains some tickets don't have estimates on them - we've only estimated Story Points).

What is the workflow after that? We can't burn-down time, as there is no starting point for each task - we can only burn-down story points.

Any pointers appreciated,

Daniel

1 answer

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2015

As your tracking statistics is time (instead of story points), you MUST provide an original estimate (in units of time) to all your stories. 

This original estimate will then be used by theburndown chart to create the burndown.

Developers will be expected to log time asthey progress and this will reflect in the burndown chart.

I suggest you play around with a test burndown chart to get familiarised with the concepts. there is a learning curve espicially if are using story points and time as estimation adn tracking statistic.

I am not attaching any links here as i assume you have already gone through the documentation on these concetps.

Rahul

Suggest an answer