Epics Shared Across Boards Within the Same JSW

JD Lobue May 15, 2021

I want to be able to share epics created on one board within a JSW (call it the master board) and have those epics available on the epics panel within all boards w/in that JSW. Is this possible or are Epics tied to only one board. Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2021

Hi JD - Epics are not created on a board, they are simply created against a project. 

So you have have a master board that shows Epics from multiple projects by creating a filter that does that. It would look something like Project in (ABC, DEF, 123) and issuetype = Epic

JD Lobue May 17, 2021

If you have 3 boards within a JSW, and you create the epics on the epics panel on the master board, they do not show on the epics panel for the other 2 boards. How do I get the epics panel to show the epics that were created within the epics panel on the master board on the other two boards? I do not want to create a filter to show the epics. I want to see the epics in the epics panel across all boards within the JSW. I hope that helps clarify things a bit.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

The other two boards have to have the projects associated with the Epics included in the Filter for the board. 

For example; Master board shows Projects in (ABC, 123, DEF). And an Epic is created against ABC project (ABC-1). Then if you want the epic to show up in the board for Project 123, you have to include the project in that boards filter. 

Something like Project = 123 or (Project = ABC and issuetype = Epic)

JD Lobue May 17, 2021

It is the same JSW.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2021

What does the filters look like for the other two boards?

JD Lobue May 17, 2021

The filters limit the work by each board by a custom field

Master Board Filter = project = {ProjectName}
Child Boards Filter = project = {ProjectName} AND "CustomField" = "CustomFieldValue"

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2021

Do the Epics have that value for the custom field on the child boards? 

JD Lobue May 17, 2021

That was it. Thank you for working through this with me.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2021

Great! Glad you got it worked out!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events