Epic suddenly showing up in a sprint

Beverly Braham-Durica June 11, 2019

In one of our projects, there is an Epic that has suddenly appeared in a specific sprint on a Scrum board.

I've ruled out the following - so any insight would be greatly appreciated:

1. The other epics are not showing up and the filter has not changed. Epics are visible in the backlog with the Epic sidebar

2. The Epic that is showing up was created in May as an Epic, not converted from a story, so no sprint field was ever set. Our Epics do not have the sprint field - no value to delete

3. In a side by side comparison, it appears that the Epic is set up in the same way as the other Epics on the board

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2019

Hi @Beverly Braham-Durica 

Would you please provide some info to help others ponder this one?

• What is the filter for your scrum board?
  • What is the status of the epic that is showing on the board?
  • If the epic that is showing is completed, is it also marked as "done" in the epic panel?

Thanks, and best regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for taking a look:

Filter:

project = 12500 AND issuetype in (standardIssueTypes(), subTaskIssueTypes()) AND "Scrum Team" = Mobilitas AND status != Archived AND issuetype not in (Test, "Test Execution", "Test Plan", "Test Set") ORDER BY Rank ASC

Epic Status: "To Do", so it would not be marked as done

The stories within the Epic range have multiple statuses - some "To Do", some "In Progress", some marked "Done" - this is just like the other epics in the board which is why it's throwing me off as to why this appeared today.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2019

Hi Beverly,

I believe Epic is one of the standardIssueTypes...  Not certain why this would start happening if there was not change.  One thing to try would be to combine and simplify your issueType filter, something like:

project = 12500
AND issuetype IN (Story, Bug, Task, Subtask)
AND "Scrum Team" = Mobilitas
AND status != Archived
ORDER BY Rank ASC

If it shows after that, the filter cannot be the problem.

Best regards,

Bill

Like Beverly Braham-Durica likes this

Hi Bill

It's apparently not the filter - I even tested excluding just Epics and it did not move off the board. I'm still combing through the other Epics to identify the difference.

Any other thoughts on why this would be showing up but other Epics are not?

Thanks,

Beverly

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2019

Hi Beverly,

Are you showing items as swim lanes on your board?  If so, please check the setting to see if the grouping is Epics.  Although I would expect all stories/bugs with epics to show their parent epics in that case.

If that isn't it, I would look at the offending epic's change log to look for any surprising info/changes.  Barring that, you may need to submit a support ticket to figure this one out.  Sorry I could not be of more help.

Thanks,

Bill

Like Beverly Braham-Durica likes this
Beverly Braham-Durica June 12, 2019

Thanks for your help - I did open a support ticket and will post the results when they contact me.

Have a great day!

Beverly

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
prashantgera March 23, 2021

@Beverly Braham-Durica : Did you get the solution for your problem?

I am also facing the same issue 

0 votes
Jon_Fister July 28, 2019

Beverly, I know that you said there's no sprint field to remove, but what if you right click on the epic and click "Remove from sprint"?

Suggest an answer