Epic stories, all old tasks are now epics with "unlablled" epic labels

Christen Lorensen January 9, 2013

Why did this hapen, how can I change it so they are not epics, but tasks and stories as they should be?

I'm using the Epic add on from Labs

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2013

Did you rename earlier your Epic issue type as 'Task' and recreated the Epic issue type yourself?

Christen Lorensen January 10, 2013

ok thanks I will look into it.

I also thought that we might move all tasks over to a new issue type, then change task to epics and epics to tasks. Then move all the issues back to the new issue type.

Well that might have happend, there was earlier an issiue with Epics that we handeld. But it is old legasy in my company. Im researching it now.

Because now there is a consistansy, that all the items in the Epic panel is tasks, after I upgraded to 6.1.1. All new task are put in the Epic panel. So it might make sence.

What to do?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2013

Yeah, then that's the issue. This data is stored in XML in database. This article explains how to update it. Be careful while doing it, backup database and shutdown JIRA before doing anything.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/How+to+Fix+the+Duplicate+GreenHopper+Custom+Fields+After+Upgrading

The field is gh.issue.story

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2013

Yes, if you can do that, that is the safest option.

0 votes
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2013

For that, the best way is to use the Issue Navigator to query for IssueType = Epic, then Bulk Edit > Bulk Move them to the new Issue Type.

Or, if they really are Epics, just set an Epic Label, assign stories to them, and enjoy!

Well it is not IssueTypes it is Epics like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjZlDkniNE I had to go into the admin a turn it on in the labs addon, ahh I see maybe why, the video says from v. 6.1 but we are using v5.2.1. There is might be different.

I think it uses labels somehow, and we use labels for other stuff, so the two might conflict. I just cant figure out where or what to change, as some tasks with labels have become epic and others not. Not that they are Epic types.

Does that make sence.

How does jira know what task/story/epics are handeld by the epic panel?

John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2013

So, Epic is an issue type, and if you want them to not be Epics any longer, simply move them to something else, like Stories. The Label fields that are used by GreenHopper are specific to GreenHopper, and won't interfere with your other label fields.

GreenHopper will assume that any Issue of type Epic that falls within the Board but does not have its Epic Status set to Done is active, and it will be shown in the sidebar.

Ok that is not what I see. When I create an epic from the Epic panel (+) it is set to Issue Type = Task and there is a field for Epic Label that has to be field out. If I choose Epic or any other type from the Issue Type Dropdown the Epic Label dissapears and if I create it, it is not represented in the Epics panel.

So my conclutions is that Issue Type has nothing to do if it is an "Epic" in the epics panel that can contain epics.

The other thing is that we have 100ereds of old issues type of "new feature" thats automaticaly become "epics" in the epic panel. So greenhopper must be using something that conflicts with other stuff.

It says here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Setting+Up+Epics+for+your+Project

Epics are implemented in GreenHopper via a JIRA custom field of type 'label', which are used to associate cards with a parent epic.

If I could just find the field that says if it is an "epic" I could change it.

Required

ps: just figured out it is greenhopper that has to be 6.1 and I look at jira, cant find where I get what version of Greenhopper I have.

I found out I have Greenhopper 6.0.8, so that might be the problem?

Suggest an answer