Epic level reporting (JIRA Cloud)

Eshan Salpadoru December 10, 2017

Hi All,

The Epic level reports provided in JIRA cloud version seems to only work if the epics are in the current sprint. But to me Epics are large undertakings that will not be completed in a single sprint. So we have only added stories to the sprint. I would still like to get an epic level report that tells me how much of the Epics is completed (both in terms of number of stories completed as well as hours or story points burnt. Is there anyway I can get this report in the cloud version? (Even an add-on?)

Thanks. 
Eshan

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2017

Hey Eshan,

Might I suggest using Fix Versions to address your problem?

If you tag each Epic with a unique Fix Version you can track progress through both the Releases tab as well as the Versions report.

Hope this helps,

Tyler

Eshan Salpadoru December 12, 2017

Thanks for that! I might try that. Was really hoping there was an easy way to give me a breakdown of an Epic. 

Senthilkumar Ananthakrishnan October 23, 2018

I think it works for Story, Task, Bug associated to EPIC. Not EPIC itself. 

Jira Atlassian November 6, 2019

Hi, 

Is there a way to get Initiatives Status Report in JIRA ?

Thanks !

1 vote
John Sebestin October 10, 2018

Same problem. I think Atlassian is over-thinking the issue. Simple reporting/export features are all many of us are looking for. Oftentimes, department leaders would like the option to review Epic contents as they have time. A simple means of reporting/exporting information would be a great extension to the core JIRA application.

0 votes
Gurvinder Sandhhu April 17, 2019

I use the following query:

project = "project name" AND Sprint in (openSprints(), futureSprints()) AND "Epic Link " in (Epic name) ORDER BY Epic Link ASC

You can use EPIC Link or EPIC Name based on what field you use in your project.  You can then use the Issue Statistics Gadget or a Two Dimensional Filter Statistics gadget to get the dashboard view.

avanti2k1 December 9, 2019

Try to configure 'Early Access' New experience on Jira to get a Gantt Chart view for Portfolio Plan where you can manage your schedule, status and resources on Epic Level.  I got access to it just a few hours ago so still have to explore it further but it looks promising and could potentially resolve some of the challenges we had with reporting until now. 

0 votes
Sami Linnanvuo {Screenful}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 18, 2018

We have recently added Epic support for our visual dashboard for Jira. It's an add-on that pulls data from the Jira API and provides metrics and visualisations out-of-the-box.

You’ll see a progress of your epics, and you can use them for grouping and filtering of data throughout your dashboard. You can customise what metrics are shown for each epic. By default it shows the number of issues open/In progress/Done, and the number of issues that are currently blocked. 

Here's what the Epics view looks like in a dashboard:

1.png

And yes, this works without user having to assign stories to sprints.

You can learn more about the epics support from the release notes

0 votes
Petrolene le Roux July 11, 2018

I have the same issue.  We have large stories that span over several months - even our entire focal year.  I now understand that these should really be epics.

But all of our operational initiatives are listed as stories and I have a hard time to see what has been completed (tasks listed under the stories) for a particular sprint (which is by month).  

Any ideas?

0 votes
Kara Kogelman February 7, 2018

Eshan,

I am having the same issue here.  I have not yet found a report that can provide me with this information.  If you get an answer I would be happy to know about it.  Thanks. 

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2017

Hi Eshan,

Do you mean that the Epic report (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/epic-report-777002698.html)  doesn't work for you?

I believe that the Portfolio for JIRA add-on may work better:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/portfolio

Hope it helps,

Carlos

Eshan Salpadoru December 11, 2017

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the reply. The link doesn't seem to work. 

Yes the Epic report doesn't work for me since I have not added the Epics into the Sprint. And I don't intend to as the Epics span multiple sprints. So when I go to the report it say, not Epics in this Sprint. 

I don't think Portfolio is right for us as we are limited to one project. It is just that we would like to see a view of the Epics as we chug along with the stories. Ideally, we would like to see how many stories in a Epic have been completed and how much percentage of the effort of that Epic has been spent up to date. 

Thanks. 
Eshan

Suggest an answer