Epic Swimlanes in Kanban boards

David Stokes January 21, 2015

Hi

Atlasssian have just added the ability to have Epic based swimlanes on a Kanban board (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9144) which is fantastic!

However, I don't think it's gone far enough - it's simply display only.  What's missing the the really useful functionality that you have on the scrum planing board which is being able to move issues between Epic's by drag-and-dropping as well as being able to create Epics on the fly.

As it stands, you have to create Epics manually then associate them with an Epic by editing the issue sad

I think this is needed to add real value - display only on the Kanban board doesn't really add value - without the ability to organise using the Epic is key.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else share's my view.

Cheers
David 

3 answers

5 votes
SarinaC March 9, 2015

Hi - if an epic is closed (resolution: Done) and all its tasks and subtasks are closed (resolution: Done), is there a way to make the epic swimlane disappear from the board? Thanks.

Robert Wlodarczyk January 8, 2016

I haven't been able to find a way to do this. Were you successful in finding a solution here?

Kailin Hu December 19, 2016

Anyone know whether this is resolved? 

abhinav jain February 7, 2017

you can either remove it from the swim lanes field in the Board configuration.

What i like to do is, make changes in the JIRA board query so that it filters out the items which are closed.

this way my board only shows the items that requires my attention.

Avigail_Manheim December 26, 2019

Create a quick filter (Board settings > Quick filters) that filters to not show closed epics. Or you could make a quick filter that generally doesn't show tickets that have been closed more than a certain amount of time ago. I recently have liked using the following:

Quick Filter Name: Limit Closed Tickets

JQL: resolved = EMPTY OR resolutiondate > -1w

This JQL works for me, because my workflow requires all tickets that are being closed to have a resolution be set. If that is not your case, you may want to try

JQL: NOT (status = Done AND statusCategoryChangedDate < -2w)

0 votes
Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2015

Hi David, there are several other open Suggestions for improvements for epics in Kanban boards. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7052 is the most general and is essentially an epic itself. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-6175 tracks the plan mode for Kanban which is where many of these functions are likely to be carried out. Kind regards, Martin JIRA Agile

0 votes
Peter Whitmore January 21, 2015

Hi David,

that sounds like a great feature! Especially helpful when taking stories etc. (everything else) without epics and assigning them.

I'd also like to see the swimlane work the same as story swimlane in the scrum board, i.e. The ID, plus the selection and preview in the sidebar.

image2015-1-22 8:4:34.png

anyway. thanks for the feature and this discussion!

Peter.

Suggest an answer