Epic Status vs. Epic Workflow

Fabian Ehrentraud March 2, 2014

Epics use the custom "Epic Status" field to decide whether they show in the board or not. Parallel to this they can have any per-project-workflow. The 2 states can contradict each other and tend to confuse users.

* Are there any recommendations on how to ease the workflow and reduce the confusion due to the parallel workflow & Epic status? I found this so far: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILEKB/HowTo%3A+Track+Epics+in+the+Control+Chart

* Is there a reason why Jira Agile does not provide a default Epic workflow that can be used instead of the "Epic Status" field?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2016

Hi Fabian,

I had exactly this issue at Twitter. I've detailed how we addressed this in Understanding Cycle Time of JIRA Epics.

Regards,
Nicholas Muldoon
Arijea 

Fabian Ehrentraud March 13, 2016

Registering my mail address for reading your blog post? Sounds fishy. No can do.

Like # people like this
Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2018

Hi @Fabian Ehrentraud, can't recall if I sent this direct or not.

We use a post-function to update the value of the Epic Status field on transition. That is then used to help us calculate the cycle time of the Epics. Works on Jira Cloud too.

This is detailed in Understanding the cycle time of epics in Jira. (no email required)

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Nick Muldoon
Product Manager, Easy Agile

1 vote
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2017

Hi @Fabian Ehrentraud@Nick Muldoon

I've discovered the same and it totally sucks - especially if you use backlog and use "mark as done" functionality which actually changes epic status instead of Issue Status....

We decided to create a filter to help users to filter the epics in the panel by looking at the number of completed tasks instead of using epic status field.

Additionally we show Epic Workflow Status label. That way its easy to find done epics (Status field Done) having "Epic Status" field open 

It has been released soon as part of the Agile Board Filter

02.Backlog.jpg

Claus Schneider ( Praqma ) June 19, 2019

Looks interesting .. Can you share your queries?

Like Francois Bachmann likes this
0 votes
Lisa Förstberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2021

Just done a Script Listener to resolve that hidden Epic Status problem, see: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/EPIC-Status-Vs-Status/qaq-p/728237

Suggest an answer