Epic Name suddenly a REQUIRED field

Rog July 18, 2013

Can't enter any Stories into the system, can't edit anything!!!!!

I've luckily been able to resolve this by hitting the Restore defaults option in the Admin - Issues- Field Configuration window.

But have no idea how this happenned,

Epic Name is a LOCKED field, this morning suddenly everyone started dropping me mail, calling, IM "I can't enter a new story, Epic Name required".

I found Epic Name in Field Config, and yes it said REQUIRED LOCKED, but I couldn't change it!

I only use the default Field Configuration, and as I see it there is no way to set it to REQUIRED. I can set other fields to required but this field is locked. I called Atlassian but only got a machine, I couldn't talk to anyone, so logged an Issue, but have not heard back....I really don't want this to happen again.

7 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Rog August 12, 2013

Atlassian looked into this for me, looked at the logs etc and no dice, they can't figure out how it happened. I was changing the fields available on the screens and somehow it triggered this. I eventually had to go into Administration > Issues > Field Configuration > Configure (Default Configuration) and reset the default settings - luckily I hadn't changed anything.

Deleted user August 26, 2013

Atlassian informed me that this was a side effect of an update that they did on the On Demand version (the one that I'm using). They were able to correct it for me.

Antony Galdi February 26, 2014

Wild. Just happned to my downloaded version - thankfully for only one project. I suspect it may be because the story issue type in the project contains this field from an external system import. Going to try clearing that out to resolve. Otherwise this is pretty hosed.

Antony Galdi February 26, 2014

Pretty bonkers but I just did this (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/How+to+unlock+a+Locked+field) and then was able to return the field to being optional for stories (or whatever issue type should NOT require epic name to be defined). Filing a bug for this.

Dmitry Khimoroda February 11, 2015

Had the same problem with on a fresh online instance. Reset to default settings helped.

Deleted user February 17, 2016

Don't know why you should have to post an answer.  Atlassian should have people constantly monitoring these groups and posting answers for all their users.

But thanks for your effort!  It really helps.

Sebastien Bach November 14, 2016

Thanks to your comment I reset to default settings and it worked. thank you.

Franck Da Costa May 28, 2019

Had same problem while moving Epics from one project to another: "Epic Name is required" even with Retain option checked.
Solution from @Rog1 worked, Tks !
into Administration > Issues > Field Configuration > Configure (Default Configuration) and reset the default settings

Screenshot 2019-05-29 at 10.10.02.png

1 vote
Trent McClenahan September 2, 2013

I had a similar problem - don't know how it happened, but was able to remove the story issue type by unlocking the field, making the required changes to it, then locking it again:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/How+to+unlock+a+Locked+field

Deleted user February 17, 2016

That article won't help cloud users, who can't modify the tables directly.

0 votes
David Balcaen February 7, 2017

Hey!! Thanks for the tip, My Epic Name had become REQUIRED which meant i could not make any new Epics 'because you cannot link an Epic to an Epic!  your hint worked. I am far too timid with JIRA to press the "default settings button" but it worked.  Thanks for the message. 

Divya Gudimallla June 23, 2020

Thanks! 

0 votes
Björn Lilleike March 31, 2014

I have a hint, that helped in my situation.

Epic Name was suddenly required. After disabling in in the Tempo Plugin as exported field, it was no longer required

Ulrich Bervoets April 16, 2020

I restored defaults and it works fine, but you could be possible right

0 votes
MarkW September 26, 2013

Just wanted to add that this also happened suddenly on my default configuration scheme by marking it required. I had to go and remove the required field.

0 votes
Deleted user July 29, 2013

I would also like to know why Epic Name became Required, even when creating stories, all of a sudden. I have tried removing it from all screens and from the issue type field configuration, yet it annoyingly remains.

Why should I have to specify an Epic Name when creating a Story? There is no agile practice that mandates Epics for all Stories. Epics are only needed when necessary.

More annoyingly, why should Epic Name be required when I have already specified an Epic Link? Has JIRA gone coocoo? https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/Epic+Name+vs+Epic+Link

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2013

Check whether the Epic Name field has been made available to the Story issue type.

Rog July 18, 2013

Hi Timothy,

When I look in Admin - Issues - Custom Fields

I see Epic Name with the Epic and Story Icons, but I can't edit, it's locked (and now fortunately not required) Any idea how anyone made it required?? If this happens again during our rollout we're going to lose some fans!

Thanks,

Roger

Suggest an answer