Epic Issue type not created

Tom October 1, 2013

I installed jira agile and it looks like the epic issue type wasn't created. It added Story and Technical Task.

So when you click "create epic" on the planning board it brings up "create test type" (I think this is one of our custom screens) and won't show the new issue under the list of epics on the side.

I tried creating an issue type and called it epic but it still wouldn't show in the epic panel.

On our test server I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin. Still no Epic issue type.

edit: I'm getting rate limited on comments so Jira is 5.2.6, agile versions I've tried 6.3.0.2 and 6.3.2.1. After each time I've tried installing agile I've reindex the server.

edit2: The screenshot listed in my initial comment shows the list of issue types on the server. Epic isn't there but Story and Technical Task, jira agile task types, are.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tom October 15, 2013

After working with support you are just able to make an issue type with the name Epic and assign it to any project you like.

Azfar Masut December 24, 2015

This would not work as Epic is unique. You will need to delete the rest of the issue type created by Agile which has "Created by JIRA Agile - do not edit or delete.xxx ". Once done, go to manage add on, you will see agile become disable. Enable it back, and JIRA Agile will recreate these issue type. However, the impact on this is unknown as the new issue type ID will be different, thus, may impact on your existing/closed issue. Please do not delete these issue type in any means if possible as it can result to your JIRA Agile report to become haywire.

0 votes
Azfar Masut December 24, 2015

You will need to delete the rest of the issue type created by Agile which has  "Created by JIRA Agile - do not edit or delete.xxx ". Once done, go to manage add on, you will see agile become disable. Enable it back, and JIRA Agile will recreate these issue type. However, the impact on this is unknown as the new issue type ID will be different, thus, may impact on your existing/closed issue.

Please do not delete these issue type in any means if possible as it can result to your JIRA Agile report to become haywire.

0 votes
Darly Senecal-Baptiste
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2013

Tom: Of course, Epic is there?

0 votes
Darly Senecal-Baptiste
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2013

Hi Tom,

Did you add the Epic Issue Type for your project?

If not so, do the following

1. With your admin login, go to Admin
  2. Then go to Issues > Issue Type
  3. Then go the the Issue Type Scheme that your project is working with
  4. Click Edit
  5. At the available Issue Type List, drag the Epic Issue Type to the Issue Type for current Scheme
  6. Then click save,
  7. Test if epic gets created

Tom October 1, 2013

Perhaps I wasn't clear, Epic isn't an issue type after installing jira agile.

Darly Senecal-Baptiste
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2013

Which JIRA version and agile version are you using?

After installing JIRA Agile, did you reindexed JIRA?

Suggest an answer