Enter a license key admin not known

ofir sasson November 28, 2017

Hi,

I've uninstalled an old version of Jira software using your uninstall tool.
I've also deleted the 3 folders it prompts in the end.

I just wanted a clean new install on my machine(linux)

After installing the new version I've got the following error:

License Too Old For Build: We found a problem with your JIRA license

I've no idea why your uninstall tool left the license on the server but well... using the link to enter the new license I've got 2 options:

1. I have a key
In this option I need to enter admin user name and password (I've no idea where to get them from, and please DON'T tell me to run such and such query on the DB without telling me how to access the DB, I've used the deafult DB).
And it doesn't even care about my new license because I don't have my user name.

2. Proceed under the Evaluation Terms
In this option I can only enter user name and password which again I don't know how to get them.

So what can I do?
Is there an option to get the user name and recover the password?
Is there an unistaller which actually uninstall everything related to JIRA and doesn't leave old license.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2017

Hi Ofir,

Likely the problem you're encountering is that the old database is still in use. The license key is stored in the database, specifically in the propertytext table.

As it sounds like you're using the default H2 database (noted in the documentation also, but if you are serious about using Jira you should eventually move to a dedicated database like PostgreSQL or MySQL) you can use these instructions to connect to the H2 database. The default username is sa and the default password is blank.

From there, you can follow these instructions to reset the password on Jira's administrator account.

Finally after starting Jira again, use the credentials you just set to go through the GUI prompts of either 1) Installing a license key you paid for or 2) Creating a new evaluation license.

Cheers,
Daniel

If this answer helped, please mark it as answered by clicking on the grey checkmark to the left. This helps me focus on unanswered questions. If you need more help, just reply to this comment and I'll be happy to provide more assistance.

ofir sasson November 29, 2017

Hi Daniel,
Thank you for the answer.

Following your answer, I've found the admin user name and reset the password and activated JIRA.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2017

I think Daniel is on the correct troubleshooting path here.  Jira licenses are stored in the Jira database, not the specific machine itself. I would just like to also add the following questions that I think might be helpful here:

1. What version are you upgrading from?
  2. What version are you upgrading to?
  3. Do you have Jira Service Desk installed?
  4. Do you have Jira Agile / Jira Software on this instance?
  5. What database type/version are you using on the back end?

Since you've seen this license error, we know that this newer version of Jira started up, connected to your existing database, and found the old license key.  The upgrade can't complete until the new key is applied.  But it's important to understand the versions here because there are known problems that can occur when skipping specific versions that you can't fix without rolling back the upgrade.

So you might be further ahead the undo this upgrade now, and apply the new license key before trying the upgrade as one way to get around this problem.  OR  It might be better instead to apply the new key in another method and continue the upgrade that way.

But in my view the best way to address this problem depends on the answers to these questions.

ofir sasson November 29, 2017

Hi Andrew,

1. By the date of purchase of the old license it's probably 7.0.10
2. 7.6.0
3. No
4. Jira software
5. H2

As for now, after recovering the user name and password, the system works fine.

Suggest an answer