Enabling tasks to be created in a story

Ron Jacob March 9, 2018

at this time, a Task can be created in an Epic and a Sub-Task can be created in a Story.

How to create task under a story 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2018

@Ron Jacob, you cannot. Task operate at the same 'level' as stories. In fact every issue type w/ the exception of Epic and Sub-task are on equal terms. Consider all issue types other than Epic and Sub-task as 'tasks'.

najme esmaili November 20, 2018

Yes, exactly something similar to the below structure.

Epic

• User Story => 1 day
    • Sub-task < 1 day
  • Task => 1 day
    • Sub-task < 1 day

Although this logic might cause some conflicts this is how Jira is considering the hierarchy of the issue type.

For instance, while generating a report at the end of each sprint, the estimation you have given to the tasks won't be included in the reports.

Picme App November 28, 2018

According to this poster, you are incorrect, and this feature has been added: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Re-Re-How-to-add-task-to-a-story/qaq-p/718744/comment-id/234478#M234478

However, the moderators have locked the thread, so no-one is able to ask that poster HOW you achieve this in JIRA today.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2018

@Picme App, that is a long post. Are you referring to Chris’ comment or some other. Chris is referencing the use of sub-task to a story not task to a story. 

Regardless, this question is still open so if someone happens to have an answer counter to mine they can certainly post it here. Too you are free to post a new question on this matter to potentially drive new input.

0 votes
Dmitry Fedotov March 3, 2021

@Jack Brickey guys why for the god sake you cant make a switcher for Story->Task->Subtask. you will be amazed but not only developers using Jira. It could perfectly fits to business operations. Please please please make this switcher somewhere in a project settings and you will make a lot of people happy

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2021

Well, in fact I could if I was a developer for Atlassian and I thought it was the right thing to do. But I am simply a customer like yourself. ;-)

I did find this old issue you might want to vote. However, you will note that only 5 people have voted for it and there are issues outstanding with many many more votes. Not that that is the only factor that goes into the development decisions but it helps - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-19692 

0 votes
Joshwa Marcalle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2018

Hi Ron,

Can you please explain the use case? I might have some alternative ideas

Tracy Ostapa July 19, 2019

Work item is no where near Epic proportion, thus it's a User Story.  Need to assign a piece of the User Story to another worker, so creating a task allows that additional assignee to create sub-tasks for his work efforts if desired.  Both assignees can be working concurrently.

If we create sub-task from the outset, 2nd assignee can't make use of the sub-tasks to manage their piece of the work item.

Having these recorded as such also help future development for similar issues, so we want to see the steps involved from that second assignee.

Like Steven Garcia McKenzie likes this

Suggest an answer