Enabled time tracking but don't see where to enter initial estimate for sub-tasks

Paul Henman September 26, 2017

I've enabled task tracking (see screenshots) but I don't see a field called "Original Estimate" or "Remaining Estimate" when I create a sub-task. I looked in Screens but I don't see either there in order to add them. There is "Estimated Days" - is that the field I want or am I missing something?

Screenshot 2017-09-26 14.04.54.png

Screenshot 2017-09-26 14.07.40.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2017

The field you are looking for is called Time Tracking, it you add that to the screen it will add original estimate and remaining estimate.

Aha! In the Field Configurations page, found Time Tracking and then used the Screens link to select the relevant screens. Thanks. 

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2017

You usually need to add the "time tracking" field to the screens for sub-tasks.

But if you're planning to use the estimates in Scrum boards as the estimation basis, then, um, don't.  Until you've thought about it *very* carefully.  It doesn't work the way you think it will, and you will end up with boards that make no sense.

We're using Story Points for sizing stories, tracking velocity etc. but want to use hours for sub-tasks (to encourage the team to identify & split large tasks). 

Suggest an answer