Email notification for every comment made on any issue

Aleksandra October 18, 2021

Hi,
I would like to get email notification from Jira whenever any issue in any project gets a comment. 
I am Jira Admin, but the only thing I found is to set this notification for particular issue (it is in Notification Helper).

1 answer

4 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2021

Hi Aleksandra - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can setup an automation rule to do that for you. 

Here is some more information to get you started with Autmoation:

There are two types of automation:

• Global: In the Free version, you get 100 executions per product, per month
  • Project: In all versions, you get unlimited executions per month

Automation Basics: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, go to Jira Settings > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

For more on using Automation For Jira see these help pages.

Jira Automation Template Library to help get you started quickly:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/labels/all/customLabelId/1453

You will then create a trigger for Issue Commented. 

Be sure to make it a single project rule in the rule details and choose your project.

Then select  a new action to Send email and have it send you and email. 

In the bottom of the email, you can put in this text so there will be a clickable link:

<a href="{{issue.toUrl}}">{{issue.summary}}</a>

Aleksandra October 19, 2021

thank you, I will try that for sure, but one more question: can I apply this rule only to me as a user? I dont want all the Jira users to be triggered with additional jira notifications.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2021

Sure - you can type your email address in the To section. But you need to type the address and then click on it to put it in the To field. 

Aleksandra October 20, 2021

John,
one more question :)
How can I add the issue link with the comment summary, so I can easily go to jira issue >
I can't find a smart value and {{issue.link}} does not work.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2021

Try using this:

<a href="{{issue.toUrl}}">{{issue.summary}}</a>

Aleksandra October 25, 2021

John, thank you!
This worked.
Sorry to ask again, but is there any way to make this notification the same as we have OOB form Jira notification?
Like, when I am getting notification from the issue because I was mentioned with it, I am getting the link and the summary of the comment.
Is there any way to achieve it on this level of notification?
I just need to get all the possible notifications, to save time: I want to see the summary of the comment and the link, but I really like the form of the notification that Jira already gives.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2021

Great - glad that worked!

You can find more information on Smart Values here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-general/

But here is a snippet from that document as relates to comments:

screenshot.png

Like Srikanth Ganipisetty likes this
Aleksandra October 28, 2021

John, thank you so much!
But how can I make those two (URL and last comment) work together?
Should I use AND between them?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2021

Try to add the URL code in the same link with the {{created}}

Suggest an answer