Efficiency team report

Bruno L. Conti January 2, 2018

Hi!

I need a report that contains the following columns:

Assignee (Group by)

Original Estimate (SUM())

Time Spent (sum())

Efficiency (Original Stimate / Time Spent)

Until now, I did not find any report with that collumns.

I am trying use the Klipfolio, but, the rest api only returned 50 issues max, and I need more than 50 issues for to do a calculation.

4 answers

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2018

Hi Bruno,

Displaying such a calculation within Jira is only possible with the help of a plugin, like a calculated field from Jira Misc Custom Fields or a scripted field from ScriptRunner.

That said, I'm a little bit sceptical about "Original Estimate / Time Spent" being a valid metric for measuring people efficiency. It might require too many perfect conditions (not very realistic ones) in order to start being a meaningful indicator of accuracy of estimations, not to mention to start generating scientifically relevant data for measuring people efficiency...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

In most cases, this metric will just tell you how good your estimates are, it's not going to give you "efficiency".  Basing commission on it is going to give you one of two problems.

• If one person/team sets estimates and another executes, you're going to demoralise and lose the people doing the work (unless the estimates are 99% accurate 99% of the time).
  • If the estimates are agreed by the team, they're going to pad them to ensure they meet them in time.
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2018

Exactly! If you would like to promote efficiency, I would try a plugin for introducing gamification into JIRA, like Jiraffe.

Giving points and badges is known to be a good way to improve participation and quality of contributions.

Please, do not use it to try to measure real effort, but just as a way that might help people to get motivated.

Bruno L. Conti January 3, 2018

Hi !

I am using this calculations exactly to know if we are budgeting the right way.

And there are also many small tasks that I do not want to keep calling the team to give an estimate of time.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway,

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2018

Alright, then that's a good way of getting a rough indicator for that purpose. ;)

Best regards

0 votes

I would like a vision group by Assignee

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2018

Let me recommend Time Reports for Jira.

Besides the screenshots shown there, it also allows grouping by worklog author.

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

You can easily create this report with the Better Excel Plugin.

For the "efficiency" metric you could use the built-in Work Ratio field, but there are other options:

1. the app has its own calculated field concept (these are calculated while the spreadsheet is being generated),
  2. or you can use Excel functions and formulas (calculated when the spreadsheet is opened in Excel)
  3. or you can use a field scripted with the ScriptRunner app

For visuals, you can use standard Excel pivot charts like:

jira-cross-project-worklog-report-pivot-chart

Disclaimer: I am developed working on this app.

Hi @Aron Gombas _Midori_

I am starting use Jira..

So it's very complex for me for now.

But, I appreciate your solution.

Thanks!

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2018

Actually, if Work Ratio works fine for your use case, then you don't need to do anything else, just:

1. select the columns you are interested in (including Work Ratio) using the Issue Navigator
  2. click "Export" -> "Better Excel (Current fields)"
0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2018

Hi Bruno,

You can pretty easily get all this information through standard issue navigator. Make sure you have the following columns visible:

• Assignee
  • Original Estimate
  • Time Spent
  • Workratio

Export to csv, pull your data into a spreadsheet application and create a pivot right there. Or leave out Workratio and do your calculation in the spreadsheet.

Bruno L. Conti January 2, 2018

Hi Walter, thank's for the anwser..

But,

Is not there something more practical?

I currently calculate my team's commission based on efficiency, and would like something more visual where everyone can keep up with their work.

If you have not, do you have any tips on how I can resolve the issue limit of 50 results in api to use on Klipfolio?

Like photo bellowimage.png

Suggest an answer