Editing Story Points directly in Product Backlog list.

Robert Jung July 30, 2014

Is it possible to add/edit Story Points directly in the product backlog list?

Version: JIRA Agile v6.5.0

I'm talking about the grey fields on the right. I'm in planning mode and I can edit the value in the detail view, but it would be really helpfull to click into the grey box to enter story points directly.

Product Backlog List

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jaime S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2014

Hi, Robert.

I don't think you can edit the issue's story points by clicking the grey box, but you don't need to go to the detailed view to do it. If you click the issue's key (next to the red arrow in your printscreen), it should open the quick view, a small window next to the backlog.

From there, you can edit the issue. In the case of the story points, change the field 'estimate', simply by clicking it. This way, you never leave the backlog page.

I hope it was helpful.

Kind regards.

Robert Jung July 30, 2014

Hi Jaime,

thank you very much for the quick response. I know the possibility to use the quick view, but that's still one click more. I think in older versions it was possible to enter story points directly. At least in our Greehopper configuration where story points were not fully integrated.

By the way: Why is the field called 'estimate' and not Story points?

Best regards,

Robert

Jaime S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2014

Hi, Robert.

I don't know if it was possible before, but I don't know any way to make it editable now.

To answer your question, the field's name is Story Points. The quick view shows 'estimate' because you can change how you estimate the issue, for example, estimate using hours instead of story points. You can still change the value from this 'estimate' field, but, for example, it would change the 'Original Estimate' field in the issue.

I hope I could help you more with that.

Best regards.

Jaime Kirch da Silveira.

Jay_Freyensee May 4, 2020

I'm finding more and more reason to not like Atlassian.  This is one of them.  Its MUCH faster to have a feature where I can click on the grey points box to quickly edit points than click into the "quick view", which isn't that quick, to go and find the points box and edit the points.  Very lame.

Like Sasha Tkachev likes this
Brent Walker May 20, 2021

ANSWER NOT ACCEPTED:   Heres why...

I created a advanced search filter to see my MVP release stories. My columns are type, Key, Summary, Description, EPIC Link and Story Points (number).

I too am asking for a single backlog view that I can use during backlog grooming where I can click on any field in that view, make edits such that upon tabing out of that field data is submitted to the cloud.

Moving from multiple screens/windows is very cumbersome and is not a good model, certainly not a reduction of clicking or number of windows to perform one specific task for grooming.

Suggest an answer