Edit Filter Query on Kanban Board to Include Epics

Samer Salama May 24, 2022

Hi All,

I'm trying to edit the filter query on my Kanban board to only include an epic.  Can someone please help with the syntax?

This is the current syntax:

Project = PCRF and Issuetype in (bug, story)

I want to include "= EpicName ..." and then the name of the epics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2022

This JQL should do the trick:

project = PCRF AND "Epic Name" = "<Your epic>" ORDER BY Rank ASC

Or if you want to see all epics in the project, this one will do it:

project = PCRF AND issuetype = Epic ORDER BY Rank ASC

Thanks for getting back to me.  Can I add only 2 epics, for example "Epic Name" = "Campaign Enhancements, Campaign Management".  When I add the 2nd epic name it gives me an error.  

Really Appreciate your help.

Samer

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2022

If you want to add multiple values to Epic name you have use the in operator like this:

"Epic Name" in ("Campaign Enhancements", "Campaign Management")

Thanks Mikael.  One more question.  Here is my query:

project = PCRF AND "Epic Name" IN ("Campaign Enhancements", "Campaign Management") ORDER BY Rank ASC

This lists only the epics on the Kanban Board.  I want the board to list the user stories only from the EPICS listed above.

Thank you.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2022

Okay, basic JQL doesn't allow you to do nested filters, you would need an app for that, so in order to get the issues linked to the two epics your filter should look something like this:

project = PCRF AND ("Epic Name" IN ("Campaign Enhancements", "Campaign Management") OR parentEpic in (PCRF-<epic number>, PCRF-<epic number>)) ORDER BY Rank ASC

This worked.  Thanks again!

Suggest an answer