Edit Assignee Using Jira REST API and User's Email

Patricia Paguio October 25, 2020

Hi everyone,

I am trying to bulk import and edit issues using Jira REST API and am having trouble updating the assignee field using user's email address (all other fields are edited/imported fine).

I am using https://myinstance.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/bulk to bulk import, and https://myinstance.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/{issueKey} to bulk update. All other fields are getting imported fine but the assignee field is being left blank.

I have seen the assignee field be updated using user ID, however, my file contains only the assignee's email address.

I have tried updating using the following:

{"assignee": {"email": "user@email.com" }}

{"assignee": {"emailAddress": "user@email.com" }}

{"assignee": "user@email.com"}

And none of these seem to work.

Does anyone know how I can bulk import / bulk edit the assignee field using the user's email address via Jira REST API?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2020

For Jira Software Cloud, you can't use something like an email address, you must reference the user's account ID, so the format is:

{"assignee": {"accountId": "[account_id_here]" }}

The ability to reference a user by their username (email address) or userkey were deprecated last year. Read this article for more information

Patricia Paguio October 26, 2020

Ahhh that is such a shame that they have deprecated the use of username for Software Cloud when it seems the easiest way to go about updating assignees. Thanks for the clarification David!

Like Parminder Singh Lehal likes this
Sagar Gadekar February 14, 2023

This works fine with edit-issue api request, except the square bracket.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events