Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Edit Assignee Using Jira REST API and User's Email

Hi everyone,

I am trying to bulk import and edit issues using Jira REST API and am having trouble updating the assignee field using user's email address (all other fields are edited/imported fine).

I am using https://myinstance.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/bulk to bulk import, and https://myinstance.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/{issueKey} to bulk update. All other fields are getting imported fine but the assignee field is being left blank.

I have seen the assignee field be updated using user ID, however, my file contains only the assignee's email address.

I have tried updating using the following:

{"assignee": {"email": "user@email.com" }}

{"assignee": {"emailAddress": "user@email.com" }}

{"assignee": "user@email.com"}

And none of these seem to work.

Does anyone know how I can bulk import / bulk edit the assignee field using the user's email address via Jira REST API?

1 answer

1 accepted

For Jira Software Cloud, you can't use something like an email address, you must reference the user's account ID, so the format is:

{"assignee": {"accountId": "[account_id_here]" }}

The ability to reference a user by their username (email address) or userkey were deprecated last year. Read this article for more information

Ahhh that is such a shame that they have deprecated the use of username for Software Cloud when it seems the easiest way to go about updating assignees. Thanks for the clarification David!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Why flagging Jira issues is so cool?

Adding a flag to an issue is a cool way to say it is blocked. Also, you can add a comment as part of the same action from a board. But what if you want to do the same from the issue detail view? Th...

164 views 4 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you