EPIC link column shows the epic name but the EPIC NAME column shows nothing in the filter. Why?

Chirag October 11, 2019

So in the issue filter when I add a EPIC LINK column it shows the epic name (which is fine) but when I add EPIC NAME column it shows nothing.

Moreover when I export the list in form of csv it shows EPIC jira id in the EPIC link column instead of EPIC name. Why is this happening? Kindly suggest.

Thank you,
Chirag.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2019

Hi @Chirag 

Epic link field is set in issues added to certain Epic issues. Epic name field is set only in Epic issues. Example:

You have issues like this:

1. Epic 1 (ABC-1)
    1. Issue in Epic 1 (ABC-2)
  2. Epic 2 (ABC-3)
    1. issue in Epic 2 (ABC-4)
    2. issue in Epic 2 (ABC-5)

When you filter issues:

- Issues ABC-1 and ABC-3 have set Epic name field

- Issues ABC-2, ABC-4 and ABC-5 have set Epic link field

More info: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/epic-name-vs-epic-link-779158632.html

Regards,

Seba

Chirag October 13, 2019

Hello @Sebastian Krzewiński ,

Thank you for the help and sorry for delay in responding. Could you also clarify on the second part of my question as to why when I export the list in form of csv it shows EPIC jira id in the EPIC link column instead of EPIC name.

e.g. in the filter list on JIRA it shows Onboarding under Epic Link column but when I export that to CSV it shows PRO-989 under the Epic Link column (instead of Onboarding). Why is that the case ?

Thank you,
Chirag.

Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2019

Hi

In Epic link field JIRA store Epic's issue key not epic name. JIRA only display on view issue epic name. You can check it browse issue via REST API.

Seba

1 vote
Patrick Pfisterer October 16, 2020

Hi guys,

I want to set up a table in Confluence with Jira Issues showing an "EPIC Link", which is supposed to show the "EPIC Name", but it loads the "key" instead. When I choose "Epic Name" nothing is shown, which is also the behavior described above. 

How come "EPIC Link" does not load the EPIC Name for me ? Is there a bug again ? All I want is to display the name (ideally with a link to the epic in jira but not needed), which should be easy to do, but for some reason it does not work. 

Cheers,

Patrick

Suggest an answer