Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

EPIC Name edited in "New" View not reflected in backlog

Edited

I have a similar problem.

When I change the names of Epics through the Roadmap section, in the Backlog section, the Epic doesn't reflect the change in the Epic name. The only way I have found to fix this bug is to manually copy and paste the Epic name from the Roadmap section to update the name. Still, there is a problem, when I change the name of the Epic manually in the Backlog section, there is a maximum number of characters that I can add to the name, which does not happen in the Roadmap section and don't allow me to have the same Epic name in both sides (the Roadmap and Backlog).

PS: I tried refreshing the webpage but not work.

How can I fix this?

2 answers

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

Jira.png

There are two problems:

(1) When the name of the Epic is changed from the Roadmap, is not updated on the Backlog.
(2) The names of the Epics on the Roadmap don't match the ones on the Backlog.

Please check the attachments with both examples.

Hi @Patricio Ibarra 

Would you provide your exact steps to reproduce this symptom, as I do not observe this happening?

When I try what you note below it works as expected for a company-managed project in Jira Cloud, Standard version:

1. Navigate to the project's backlog
  2. Note the Epic Name of an epic in the panel or in the backlog list
  3. Navigate to the project's roadmap
  4. Select an epic --> the epic appears at the right side of the page, allowing edit
  5. On the epic details scroll down to the epic name field and revise the value
  6. Leave the field to save the changes
  7. Navigate back to the project's backlog and note the Epic Name has changed

Please note step #5.  If you just changed the field displayed at the top of the epic area on the roadmap, you are changing the Summary, and not the Epic Name field.

Kind regards,
Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

Jira.png

There are two problems:

(1) When the name of the Epic is changed from the Roadmap, is not updated on the Backlog.
(2) The names of the Epics on the Roadmap don't match the ones on the Backlog.

Please check the attachments with both examples.

Hi @Patricio Ibarra 

I believe what you are showing matches what I noted:

• On the roadmap, the left-side of the page displays the epic's Summary field
  • On the backlog, the left-side of the page (epic panel) displays the epic's Epic Name field
  • If you edit either field from the road map (or other edit views) the fields update accordingly

This is the case for company-managed projects, but not for team-managed projects (which do not have the Epic Name field).  Team managed projects only display the Summary field.

Other posts note that Atlassian is moving away from the Epic Name field usage, and instead will only use Summary...in the same way as is done for team-managed projects.  (This is part of the change to remove the Epic Link field and use Parent more consistently.)

Kind regards,
Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy This is not happening:

• If you edit either field from the road map (or other edit views) the fields update accordingly"

As you can see in the images I attached before, the names of the Epics in the Roadmap view (page) and Backlog view (page) are not syncing up. Basically, the only way to fix this is when you edit the name of the Epic on the Roadmap view is to go to the Backlog view and manually edit and change the name to match the one in the Roadmap view. But that is not the only problem, also there is an additional issue regarding a limitation in the number of characters the name of the epic can have in the Backlog view vs the one you as a user can set in the Roadmap view.

The screen fields you have marked in your images are two different data fields in the issue: Summary and Epic Name

If you have different values in the data fields, Jira does not automatically synchronize them.  The field difference is also the reason they have different maximum field lengths you observed.

I am unable to think of other ways to explain these differences.  If you are are using a paid Jira license, I suggest working with your site admin to submit a ticket to the Atlassian support team to see how they can help: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Hi @Bill Sheboy thanks, yes I understand.

Currently, I'm testing Jira using the free version, so I'm checking all the potential issues I can have in case I decide to move forward with the paid version.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

👋 Looking for 15-20 volunteers to test Atlassian training content

Hi everyone! Are you interested in beta testing Atlassian University’s newest (unreleased!) training course? We’re looking for 15-20 volunteers to test our newest training course, Basic reporting...

497 views 19 23
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you