EASILY!! Adding a user to only one project

We want to add an external client to a project in Jira. I've been through a number of support posts and nothing seems to make sense.

Is there no feature to just add a single person to a project without creating new Groups, Permissions, Roles etc? If not, is this feature in development?

Thanks

1 answer

2 votes

Just add the external user to the Users or Developers role for that particular project...?

Hey, thanks for the answer.

When you create a user though, arent they added added by Default to the generic Users group which has access to all projects?

Yes and no.

The users are added to all groups that have "Jira user" global permission. This allows them to actually log in and your user needs to be in one of them

What most people need to do is decouple groups that say "can log in" from ALL permissions. The usual approach is to have "jira users" able to log in, but remove that group from ALL roles (except maybe the role of "user" in the "Jira support project", if that's how you're doing support)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,242 views 10 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you