Duplicate configuration from one issue type to another (in Team Managed)

Yaron Shragai May 27, 2022

Hello,

I'm using a Team Managed project.

I've configured the Task issue type with certain fields.

I want the exact same configuration for Bug, Subtask, and any other issue type I might create.

Is there a way to duplicate one issue type's configuration to another issue type, without brute-force configuring the other issue type the same way?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2022

Hi @Yaron Shragai -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Do you mean the custom fields created in a team-managed project?

If so, not yet, and...that development to make custom fields shared across company-managed and team-managed projects started work in February 2022.  Please watch/vote for this item to see progress updates: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-20905

Kind regards,
Bill

Yaron Shragai May 27, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy ,

That's not quite what I'm asking about.

I'm not asking about sharing custom fields across projects.

What I want to do is:

In my team-managed project, I've added, say, 3 custom fields to my Task type issues - called Rolf, Golf, and Shmolf - and also, I've removed a couple of fields from the Context fields, and moved a couple to "Hide when empty".

I haven't yet configured my Bug type issues; and I want my Bug type issues to have the exact same configuration as my Task type issues.

Is there a way to duplicate the configuration of my Task type issues to my Bug type issues (inside this one project), or am I condemned to have to manually repeat the configuration for Bug type issues and for any other issue types that I want to have this same configuration?

Thanks!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2022

Thanks for clarifying, and you would need to configure them separately by project.  This is one of the advantages of the team-managed projects: individual configuration.  

I have not seen any suggestions like adding/managing shared screen configurations between team-managed projects, but you could add that suggestion.

Yaron Shragai May 28, 2022

Thanks for attempting to help. Again, I am not looking for sharing any configurations between projects. I am looking to "share" configurations among the various issue types in a single project. I want, for example, the Bugs in my project to have the same configuration as the Tasks in my project. I spent time setting up the configuration of the Tasks in my project. It would be great if I did not need to do this all over to set up that same configuration for the Bugs in my project. In fact, it would be somewhat surprising if this weren't possible, as it seems like such a basic feature.

Thanks.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2022

Agreed; that does seem like a helpful feature.  The idea of separation by issue type seems to support these are different "work item types", and so the needed data and configuration could be quite different...or the same as in your use case.

Suggest an answer