Due date versus End date in Advanced Roadmaps

Barbara Shaw April 26, 2023

Hi - The screens in a project I supporting currently use the custom field "end date" which is a date picker. The advanced roadmap associated with the board is using "due date" a system field. The project owner asked if the issues could use the "same" due date field type as the advanced roadmap. 
1. Would it be okay to remove the due date field from the advanced roadmap configuration and replace with the same end date custom field the issues/screens are using in the project?
2. How do I know "what kind of field" this due date system field is? e.g., is it date/time? is it a date picker type? The project owner wants the issues and road map to have the same due date or end date field types
🫣

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

Hi @Barbara Shaw,

The due date field is a system field. It is a date picker, not containing time.

It might make sense to take a consistent approach across your entire Jira instance when it comes to using one field or the other. Which one you use best is actually a choice you are free to make based on preference within your organisation. Consider which field name best indicates what it should mean (for me, due date usually reflects the expectation of when something should be finished, while end date works fine for me as well when you refer to when something was actually done, even if there was no expectation made explicit. But that is my personal appreciation).

Note that you can specify in each advanced roadmaps plan which date fields you would like to use as start en end dates for the roadmap. You can do so in Plan settings > Scheduling:

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 19.51.25.pngThe other way around, if you would like to use due date instead of end date on your Jira issues, you would have to replace that field on all screens where it occurs.

One additional note: due date is the only date field that has also a permission associated with it. Only people with schedule issues permissions in a project can fill out the due date field. That option does not apply to any other date fields. Should you ever want to apply specific permissions on who can update the schedule, that may be good to keep in mind.

Hope this helps! 

@Walter Buggenhout thanks for your reply! In the roadmap settings, I don't have Plan settings > scheduling - instead via the ellipsis there is "configure roadmap"  Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 2.49.34 PM.pngfrom there is an "issue detail view" setting showing the general fields. Once there, it appears that via the Date fields section, I can add the end date field that I'm using in the issue screens associated with this project. What I'm concerned with is - what to do with that Due date field in the roadmap config? Is it "safe" to delete it and add the end date field instead - if due date is a system field? What would be the impacts of this action and is it reversible?Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 1.26.57 PM.png

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

That is not the advanced roadmap@Barbara Shaw Advanced roadmaps belong to the premium plan of Jira Software and are accessible via the Plans menu. Once in a plan, you find Plan settings under the ... button, next to the plan title:

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 20.57.51.png

🙈ugh. my bad. We have adv roadmaps capability but this particular roadmap is not an advanced roadmap

0 votes
Answer accepted
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Hi @Barbara Shaw ,

There's was a similar post asking in this regard. It goes over the difference between the two.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Difference-between-Due-Date-and-End-Date/qaq-p/1234673

If I recall, the due date is a date picker type. Usually, you can tell by just running a test to see what values can be placed in each of the fields. Another place that you can see is in the admin page looking at the custom/system fields and the associated type.

-Ben

@Benjamin I was able to add the system field "Due date" via the issue layout and then add the due date field to my screens

Like • Benjamin likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events