Dots on Kanban board

Szilvia Szentpéteri December 9, 2013

What do the small dots mean on Kanban board?

We can see several dots on the issues through Kanban board, sometimes these are going to red.

I'm sorry if it an obvious thing but I haven't found the answer yet.

Many thanks!

4 answers

12 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2013

The dots are representing the days a certain issue has been in that column... as far as I know ;-)

Szilvia Szentpéteri December 9, 2013

Dear Christian,

Thanks for the information! :)

Regards,

Szilvia

Szilvia Szentpéteri January 2, 2014

Dear Christian,

Maybe you can help me with this either :)

Can I change somehow the working day settings? The board counts every day but we only need to count the working days without weekends.

Many thanks,

Szilvia

Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2014

@Szilvia,

if you are owner or administrator of the board ,

check this link to configure the working days in kanban board :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+a+Board

4 votes
Felipe Carasso November 14, 2016

For people coming here trying to figure out how to add/remove this indicator:

Board -> Configure -> Columns -> Days in column: check to have it, uncheck to not have it.

Bill Stockbridge August 12, 2020

I looked today, but not seeing it. Has this changed?

Like # people like this
1 vote
Bill Stockbridge August 12, 2020

How do we enable this in the new Jira? 

Jonathan Schneider August 21, 2020

Did this feature disappear? It was super useful and I'm confused how to get it back.

Richard Scott August 25, 2020

Agreed...seems like it's gone. Why? :(

Peter Thomas February 9, 2024

Still can't find it. There seems to be a marketplace app that lets you do this as a report, but the dots on the card were super useful.

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2024

The best solution I've found for this to get accurate information is StonikByte's WIP Aging Chart.  It's best used in a dashboard.  It looks like this:

WIP.jpg

This is a real-world example from one of my team's dashboards.  Clicking one of the dots opens the modal you see above; hovering over the dots will open the modal, but as soon as you move off it, it closes.  You can see you get very accurate information on how long the issue has been in progress.

I wish there was a better answer to the dots on the Kanban board, but at this time, there isn't.  I am not associated with StonikByte; I'm only an avid user.

0 votes
Deleted user August 10, 2014

I'm not so sure. I have an issue that I created this morning, moved through to my "In Progress" column, and it has dots all the way across to the end with the last one red. Other issues that have been in their column for several days are only showing a few dots.

Any other ideas?

Deleted user August 10, 2014

Ok with some more digging, it was showing "-1 days in this column" and it appears to be a known issue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-6651

Like arote likes this
Shaun Wickramaratne April 10, 2016

Thanks.

Like Robin De Bruyn likes this

Suggest an answer