Done, but not Done Done, tickets disappear from boards

Chase Banyan August 12, 2013

Not sure why, but when I have a ticket in 'Ready for Production Install' status and I remove from a sprint, it does not appear on planning board. Doesn't seem to matter if sprint has completed or not. I'm trying to move these tickets into future sprints for actual deployment. How do I get these not yet done tickets back into a sprint for release?

JIRA 5.2.6 | Greenhopper 6.1.4.2

9 answers

0 votes
Ronny Katzenberger August 13, 2013
The "Ready for PROD Install" is a status in your DONE column. Even if those tickets are not being resolved (title is not strike-through and no resolved date), they wouldn't show up on your plan view because the status "Ready for PROD Install" is not part of your TODO column.
Chase Banyan September 14, 2013

Ronny - thanks for your help with this. Apologies for the delayed response. I had to get back to other things.

RE: this not showing on plan board, I think you may be right about Ready for Prod Install not showing as I've mapped it to DONE. I'll try moving that status to Ready for QA as those do show in Plan. I'm hesistant to put in TO DO as then devs may waste a little time trying to pick it up. But your suggestion is good and I'll play around and let you know.

Chase Banyan September 19, 2013

So to add more confusion to this, I just noticed that on a different board my Closed tickets are in the Done column AND showing on the plan board in the current sprint. I'm very confused now.

0 votes
looking at your screenshot: you should have 40 issues in your plan view/backlog. is that what you were expecting and also seeing?
0 votes
ok, I couldn't tell for sure if you're using the right workflow from your screenshot because you cut off the top half. "The tickets show in the query results, but not on the planning or work boards." I had this happen to me as well and the problem I had was, that the missing issues were in a status I didn't have mapped. Try to locate the missing issues and see in what status they're in. Check if that status is actually mapped to your TODO (or first) column.
0 votes
I think because you're not using the greenhopper workflow, you're missing the transitions which would take care of moving issues back into the backlog after removing them from a sprint or after completing the sprint (and stories were not resolved).
Chase Banyan August 13, 2013

I'm not sure how simplified workflow would make this work. I am able to add columns and move status under each column. I am also using standard features to move tickets in/out of sprints (namely right click Remove From Sprint). My query for this board is very straight forward:

verticals = "Legacy support" AND status != Closed ORDER BY Rank

Verticals is custom field but I don't see how that would impact whether Ready for Prod Install would not show on backlog when not in a sprint (or not show in next sprint when removed from sprint or sprint completed). The tickets show in the query results, but not on the planning or work boards.

I appreciate the help, but I dont' feel any closer to understanding this.

0 votes
Hi Chase, I believe you are not using the Simplified Greenhopper workflow. This is why you're seeing this strange behavior. If you have administrative permissions, you should see a button "simplify workflow" right above this configuration. Click it and then you should be able to move around statuses and also create custom statuses. A new button will show up right next to the "add column" button saying "add status". After you've done that, you should be able to figure it out much easier. Hope this helps! Best, Ronny
0 votes
can you post a screenshot of your board configuration? Especially the column/status configuration?

Here you go:

0 votes

@Justin - our 'ready for production install' state is Unresolved.

@Ronny - if I complete a sprint they don't move to next. If I remove from sprint (right click in planning board) they also don't move to next.

0 votes
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2013

Usually only issues that are "resolution: unresolved" will appear in the planning area. The solution would be by moving it to an earlier status that removes the resolution or changing the workflow so that getting to "ready for production install" doesn't resolve the issue.

0 votes
Ronny Katzenberger August 12, 2013
Hi Chase, My question is how you remove those issues from the sprint? Usually, whatever is not done by the end of the sprint and you complete the sprint via JIRA, those stories are automatically moved into the next sprint.

Suggest an answer