Does the JIRA software server installer need connection to the internet?

Ileana Naish-Guzman November 1, 2017

I'm following the instructions at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/installing-jira-applications-on-windows-802592170.html to install JIRA software server.

The server I'm trying to perform the installation on has no access to the internet (for security reasons).

Will this cause problems?

Thank you v v much!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2017

Hi Ileana,

You do not need internet access to install JIRA (or Confluence for that matter). Downloading the file to your own machine and then using FTP/SCP/a flash drive to get it to your target server will be fine. Hooray!

There are a couple considerations about an internet-less JIRA (or Confluence) server though:

1. No access to install plugins from marketplace.atlassian.com - you can work around this by using my.atlassian.com to get the licenses and then downloading the .obr files for the plugins themselves, then manually installing them. See here for more instructions on that. However, you won't receive updates in JIRA that new versions of plugins are available, so you'll want to click *Watch app* on any plugin's marketplace listing to get email updates about new versions.
  2. Support will be more difficult to get from Atlassian. JIRA lets you submit tickets to support and scan your logs for common errors. Neither of these will work without internet. It's still possible to do both, but you'll have to copy your support zip / log file to a computer with internet. Atlassian Support can help you with the particulars on this if you ever need to make use of them for help.

Cheers,
Daniel

P.S. If you feel like this answer helped, please hit the checkmark to the left to mark it as answered. This helps us focus our efforts on unsolved questions. Thanks!

Ileana Naish-Guzman November 1, 2017

Thank you so much! That’s very helpful!

Ileana

Suggest an answer