Does switching from Trial usage of JIRA to purchased software change settings?

Yuri Carmichael September 22, 2017

We started using JIRA on a trial basis.  We loved the ability the tool has to create Business and Software projects.  Specifically the different Software project types (i.e. Agile, Kanban, etc.).  We have gone on to purchase the JIRA Software bundle.  

Upon installing the purchased software, the Software project option has disappeared.  I have a re-indexing problem with a Lucene error repeatedly showing.  There is a log that shows add-on errors as well.  

When going through the document regarding how to resolve the Lucene error, it takes me to the re-indexing.  However, when I re-index, I get an error saying that it's unable to complete the re-indexing due to corrupt or non-existing files.  When I try to resolve the re-indexing problem, I'm pointed to check my add-ons.

I have perused through the community posts but could not find anything to a re-indexing or add-on fix.

When transitioning from a trial to purchased, is there a 'gap' in the product?  Maybe set ups that need to be made to continue with the same trial set up?

Any information/suggestion is appreciated.

Capture_Log.PNG

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2017

Adding software or applying a license should not trigger the problem you are seeing here.

The problem is that your Jira instance can't load that "greenhopper" plugin.  This is the Jira Software component.  Without this plugin loading, you won't be able to correctly index that Jira software specific fields.   So if we can just get that plugin loading, I think the other problems here will then be able to be resolved.

Since your logs indicate:

unable to initialize greenhopper log4j support

This is an indication to me that the user account starting Jira likely doesn't have the needed filesystem permissions to be able to create the files/directories needed in order to create the related logs for this plugin.   I would recommend that trying to follow the steps in How to fix Jira directories permissions in Linux

It is also possible that error could be caused by a lack of resources on the system.  If that is the case, you might want to Increasing memory JIRA .   Even the smallest Jira instances we would still expect to see at least 1 GB or possible 2 GB of memory allocated to the Xmx parameter (max memory).   But instances with lots of issues/custom fields/plugins might need more memory.  The JIRA Sizing Guide - Atlassian Documentation is helpful resource to understand how much memory you should allocate depending on the size of your environment.

Once those permissions are sure to be correct, I'd recommend restarting JIRA (same is true if you add memory to Jira).  This will make sure to start the system over again, and in turn should allow that plugin to load up correctly this time.

If you're seeing the same problem, I'd want to check the start up most recently to make sure this plugin is loading now.

Yuri Carmichael September 22, 2017

Thank you for the feedback.  I checked the memory (which were within the parameters) and fixed the Jira directories permissions and restarted JIRA. 

The Software project is now showing up and I do not get any of the re-indexing, Lucene error messages.

Thank you!

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2017

Great deduction! 

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2017

There is no difference between a trail license and a paid license, the should work the same.

The reason you are not seeing the Software project option has disappeared is because the greenhopper-jira plugin is failing. You should log a support ticket,  getsupport.atlassian.com, and include a support zip with it. To generate the support zip, go to administration > system > support tools.

Suggest an answer