Does anyone have a link to the Swimlane Queries syntax?

Chris Green July 18, 2018

All links to the "Syntax Help" page are broken
I am trying to create some swimlanes based on specific criteria and don't know the syntax

1 answer

0 votes
P_D_ Foerster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2018

Hi @Chris Green,

the syntax is JQL just like in other filters. However a swimlane query acts just like a sub-filter, i.e. it is appended to the board filter when displaying issues in that swimlane.

If your board filter looks like this:

project = ABC ORDER BY RANK

For example you want to display only issues of type Bug in your swimlane. For that you set the swimlane query to:

issuetype = Bug

Regards,
Patrice

Chris Green July 18, 2018

Thank you @P_D_ Foerster

I am trying to perform a '*' wildcard, 'CONTAINS', or even 'startsWith()' operation in this field, and it is not the correct syntax.

The link to the 'Syntax Help' is broken, so was wondering if there is a repository of the syntax anywhere else?

Chris Green

P_D_ Foerster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2018

Hi @Chris Green,

please check out the Jira Cloud - Advanced searching - operators reference - CONTAINS documentation. There you should find the required information :)

Cheers,
Patrice

Chris Green July 19, 2018

Hi @P_D_ Foerster

Thank you, this is more-or-less the link I was after, though "~" doesn't work when specifying swimlanes for a project.

I'll keep hunting, but it appears Atlassian doesn't want this, as they disallow everything on this field except operators like '=', '!=', '<=', '>=', etc

Chris

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2018

Swimlane filters use the same JQL syntax all the other filters use.  You will find the ~ doesn't work because the field you are trying to use it with does not support it, not that it does not work in swimlanes.

Chris Green July 22, 2018

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-<

Thank you for clarifying that point.

In such a case, what can be used?
I have found that 'CONTAINS', 'startsWith(), '*' wildcards doesn't work in this filed, so how would I go about adding elements of the following nature to a single swimlane?

'TD - Red'
'TD - Yellow'
'TD - Green'

Where I was trying to use
CONTAINS "TD -" or
~ "TD -" or
startsWith() "TD -" or
= "TD -*"

TIA

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2018

What field are you looking at, and does that field type work with the search you are using?

the JQL field for specifying swimlanes for a project, in board settings

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2018

I know that, I was asking you to look at the issue field you are using ~ to search.

OIC

I'm searching in the "Target version/s" field

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2018

Assuming the field is a custom field of type "version", then yes, I'd expect that.  Version custom fields do not support the ~ search.  Try using "in (x,y,z)" instead.

Suggest an answer