Does add attachment API gives chunk upload?

Gaurang Chauhan December 4, 2021

Does add attachment API (https://api.atlassian.com/ex/jira/<id>//rest/api/3/issue/<issueId>/attachments) gives the way to upload file in chunk?

For large file upload, it failed with 504 Gateway Time-out.

4 answers

1 vote
Kamlesh Delat December 22, 2021

The Jira server can't handle 15 MB Documents their server gives 504 Jira must fix the issue

Heena Chauhan December 22, 2021

Hello team, Can you please help to resolve this issue? I am also facing this issue and I am stuck.

JIRA server is giving 504 Gateway Timeout error when I upload 24MB Document.

ayush.kholiya December 22, 2021

Hello,

We are creating 3LO App And it's frustrating that Jira server can't handle uploading 15 to 20 MB attachments. Sometimes it does upload attachments and most of the time throws 504.

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2021

I can upload very big files to Jira Cloud and Jira Server, via their REST APIs, using a 3LO OAuth'd session, right up to the attachment size limit that has been set, without any problems.

Annotation 2021-12-23 173124.png

Your statement that Jira Server "can't handle 15 MB Documents" has no merit. It's only true for you and your circumstance.

Are you uploading vi 3LO auth API?

Gaurang Chauhan December 22, 2021

Are you uploading attachments using the 3LO app?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2021

Again, as @David Bakkers points out in his answer, the problem is your network connection, not Jira.

1 vote
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2021

Hello @Gaurang Chauhan 

In short, the answer is no. If you read the documentation about the v3 Add attachment endpoint, you will see that there is no mention of it providing any sort mechanism to upload attachments in 'chunks', To the contrary, it provides a tip on exactly what to do:

Tip: Use a client library. Many client libraries have classes for handling multipart POST operations. For example, in Java, the Apache HTTP Components library provides a MultiPartEntity class for multipart POST operations.

Next, if you do a Google search of 'jira rest api attachment chunk' you will see where the topic has been discussed in the Atlassian documentation How to transfer large files to Atlassian. It's amazing what Google will find when you use it.

As @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- has said, your particular upload is failing because the data stream is being interrupted due to a network issue, which is beyond Jira's control.

Yes I can prove it's issue from Jira server.

We are running into AWS and Azure cloud the low bandwidth is not any issue from our side

Like Gaurang Chauhan likes this
1 vote
Kamlesh Delat December 4, 2021

Why Jira service unable handle just 23MB File?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2021

That's probably your network, or upload method, not the service.  The service, when installed with default settings (which are not suitable for any real usage, being way too limited in size), can easily handle uploads far larger than that.

Kamlesh Delat December 4, 2021

Is Jira has write any specially logic to give 504 those request coming from aws lambada function

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2021

I do not understand the question.

Jira will throw an error if your network or client tells it that it thinks the upload is failing.  504 errors happen on network failures.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2021

No, it is a simple block file upload function.

Jira is an issue tracker, not a large file store, it is not intended to be a large file store.  It expects attachments to be the odd screenshot or log snippets, not gigabytes of videos or installation images.  So it does not handle large files too well.

If you have large files to refer to for some reason, put them on a proper file storage system and link to them in your Jira issues.

Gaurang Chauhan December 4, 2021

Yes, you are right it is an issue tracker. But I am uploading a video with 24MB and the server gives 504. And that is why I ask about the chunk upload.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2021

Er, yes, I know that, you already told us what the problem was.

Suggest an answer