Does Simplified Workflow have a global impact?

Sean Baker June 27, 2019

I'd like to set up a workflow for my circuit design team that looks like this:

Not Started -> Schematic Design -> Floorplanning -> Layout -> LVS Clean -> DRC Clean

My organization is hesitant to create custom statuses for any workflows, citing concerns about system-wide slowdowns if too many custom statuses are floating around. I'm not familiar enough with JIRA to know if that's true or not, but that's the policy.

I think that enabling Simplified Workflow for the boards on my team's projects would solve this issue, but I'm unclear on what happens behind the scenes if Simplified Workflow is enabled. I know that it would allow me as a project admin to create new statuses for my board, but do statuses added through Simplified Workflow get added to the list of global statuses? It seems like if they're only local to my project, and don't get added to the list of global statuses, our admins' concern over status proliferation wouldn't apply.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2019

Hi @Sean Baker 

Yes it will let you add status in the system. Probably not a good idea, better ask your Admin to modify the workflow instead.

Ravi

Sean Baker June 27, 2019

Hi @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ thanks for the quick answer!

Just so I'm clear, will the statuses that I add through the Simplified Workflow be global statuses? I.e., would other projects be able to use them?

When I played around with this on trial license on JIRA cloud, I found that I could create statuses, but also had to categorize each status as either "To Do", "In Progress" or "Done". This makes it seem like my issues are actually getting a status of "To Do", "In Progress" or "Done", and the board is just allowing me to apply a veneer of different names to these statuses.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2019

Yes, they are global status, you're adding to a shared global list.

The status category is not used directly by boards, it's a display associated with status.  Your board is not a "veneer", it's a view of a selection of issues, which is separated into columns (that you define) which show issues in one or several status.

After you've added some status to your workflow, you probably want to update the board configuration, adding more columns and putting the new status in the appropriate columns.

Like Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ likes this
Sean Baker June 27, 2019

Thanks for the clarification!

Like Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ likes this

Suggest an answer