Do I need to "Assign to me" stories in a Scrum board?

Daniel Serodio August 27, 2012

We're using Scrum boards, and before starting work on a sub-task, I have to "Assign to me" the story containing this sub-task, otherwise, nothing happens when I drag the task from "To Do" to "In Progress".

Is this correct? I think I'm missing something, because it doesn't make sense for story to be assigned to a developer; in Scrum the whole team is responsible for delivering a story.

2 answers

1 vote
Pepe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2012

You are using the default "jira" workflow which has a condition on Start Progress and Stop progress that the assignee is the current user. We typically have copied "jira" and removed the conditions for clients in your situation. Alternatively, Greenhopper 6 has the "simplified workflow" feature which also does not have the conditions. If you are running JIRA 5 you can upgrade to GH6 via the plugin manager right now.

Daniel Serodio September 25, 2012

I clicked on the "Simplify workflow" button on the project's board configuration page but after confirming my intent, I got an error dialog saying "Workflow migration did not complete successfully. Something went wrong when trying to associate the new workflow to the project in JIRA."

I can't see any errors on the Jira log, it only says "User 'dserodio' updated workflow 'GreenHopper Simplified Workflow for Project VULCANO' at 'Wed Sep 26 11:23:29 BRT 2012'"

How can I troubleshoot this problem? Should I ask a new question about this problem?

Pepe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2012

Look at your workflow schemes and see if a simplified one was created. If so just manually associate it to your project. All it does is create special cases of workflows for you so you should be able to update your project manually.

Daniel Serodio September 25, 2012

Thanks, I got it working now. There was no "Simplified Workflow", so I:

1. Created a new, blank project
  2. Clicked Simplify workflow for this blank project, which completed with no errors. This created the Simplified Workflow
  3. I went again to the VULCANO project and clicked on Simplify workflow, which worked fine this time
0 votes
Pepe
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2012

Look at your workflow schemes and see if a simplified one was created. If so just manually associate it to your project. All it does is create special cases of workflows for you so you should be able to update your project manually.

Suggest an answer