Do I need JIRA Core license to create issues in Jira Software

Jakub Kotiuk December 4, 2017

Hello,

After installing self hosted Jira (7.5.2) I've got following licenses:

Jira Software (commercial, valid till 3 Dec 2018)

Jira Core (0 users used, evaluation, expiried 2 Dec 2017)

The users assigned to the Jira Software license cannot create issues since Core license exipried. "You will not be able to create new issues because your JIRA evaluation period has expired, please contact your JIRA administrators."

Is this intended that you are required both licenses to create an issue?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2017

Hi Jakub,

This is by design.  Take a look at Dave Meyer's note in JSDSERVER-3217 and Unable to create issues using a new version of JIRA if license is expired for more information about how and why this behavior is occurring. 

At this point please update the license and you'll be set.

Cheers,

Branden

0 votes
Heiner Dieter Klüche December 29, 2017

Hi Branden,

thanks for your hint to Dave Meyer's note in JSDSERVER-3217. That was very helpful. But I follow as well Jenifer Kuntz on her request "It would be helpful to state this in the error message instead of a message that just states the licenses is expired." We didn't used JIRA Service Desk trial license and wouldn't have thought about that this way described could help as license advocates clearly pointed out that JIRA Core functionality is fully integrated in JIRA Software package. We got the same error message as Jakub quoted which has been misleading. It would be more helpful to state some thing like "Please delete you not any longer needed trial license of JIRA Core". If I read https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/license-compatibility-802592219.html and see how license checked against each other such a more helpful error message should be an easy task to implement.

After just deleting the JIRA Core trial license key everything was well back.
Thanks again for your hint. It saved me a lot of time.

Cheers,
Heiner

Suggest an answer