Displaying a Custom Field Based on Another Field Selection - Jira 7.6.1 Edited

Hi, 

How to display a custom field based on another field selection when creating an issue in a Service Desk project. I tried following similar instructions mentioned in the link below and it did not work. I am using JIRA server version 7.6.1

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira061/jira-administrators-faq/usage-faq/displaying-a-field-based-on-another-field-selection

I did see a few posts where people have used Behaviors plugin for these types of requirements but that does not support my Jira Version and hence i am looking if someone was able to achieve this using javascript in the custom field description.

1 answer

1 vote
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jan 02, 2018

Behaviors, part of Scriptrunner, should definitely support your version of Jira. If you have this plugin, I'd suggest using it over custom javascript.

If the script example in the KB article did not work for you, can you explain why that is? The concept in play with that article should still be sound.

Hi Steven,

I did a mistake with the custom javascript in the KB article. It works now but only with 2 custom fields. If I have to set a value to a custom field based on a System field selection (Ex. Issue Type) it does not work. Is there a way or format to read system field in the custom javascript.

Steven Behnke Community Champion Jan 10, 2018

You absolutely need to provide the script you're using as well as any errors you're seeing.

Hi Steven,

Here is the javascript i am using in the description of a custom field. This works fine when both the the fields are custom fields. But i am looking to show/hide a custom field based on a system field selection (Ex. Issue Type (id: issuetype))

<script type="text/javascript">
jQuery(document).ready(function($) {
JIRA.bind(JIRA.Events.NEW_CONTENT_ADDED, function (e, context) {
callChangeFunction();
});
callChangeFunction();
function callChangeFunction(){
showHidField();
// dropdown custom field change function
$("#customfield_10001").change(function() {
showHidField();
});

}

function showHidField(){
//drop down field selected value
var dropDownFieldval =$.trim($("#customfield_10001 :selected").text());
//test field1
$("#customfield_10000").closest('div.field-group').hide();
if(dropDownFieldval == 'Access'){
$("#customfield_10000").closest('div.field-group').show();
}if(dropDownFieldval == 'Fault'){
$("#customfield_10000").closest('div.field-group').show();
}
}

});

</script>

I dont see any errors but when i replace #customfield_10001 with a system field (Ex. #issuetype) it does not work. However it works for custom fields.

Steven Behnke Community Champion Jan 16, 2018

Is the intention to use this on a Jira screen or the Customer Portal.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,242 views 10 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you