Displaying a Custom Field Based on Another Field Selection - Jira 7.6.1

Siddarth_Murthy January 2, 2018

Hi, 

How to display a custom field based on another field selection when creating an issue in a Service Desk project. I tried following similar instructions mentioned in the link below and it did not work. I am using JIRA server version 7.6.1

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira061/jira-administrators-faq/usage-faq/displaying-a-field-based-on-another-field-selection

I did see a few posts where people have used Behaviors plugin for these types of requirements but that does not support my Jira Version and hence i am looking if someone was able to achieve this using javascript in the custom field description.

1 answer

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2018

Behaviors, part of Scriptrunner, should definitely support your version of Jira. If you have this plugin, I'd suggest using it over custom javascript.

If the script example in the KB article did not work for you, can you explain why that is? The concept in play with that article should still be sound.

Siddarth_Murthy January 9, 2018

Hi Steven,

I did a mistake with the custom javascript in the KB article. It works now but only with 2 custom fields. If I have to set a value to a custom field based on a System field selection (Ex. Issue Type) it does not work. Is there a way or format to read system field in the custom javascript.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2018

You absolutely need to provide the script you're using as well as any errors you're seeing.

Siddarth_Murthy January 16, 2018

Hi Steven,

Here is the javascript i am using in the description of a custom field. This works fine when both the the fields are custom fields. But i am looking to show/hide a custom field based on a system field selection (Ex. Issue Type (id: issuetype))

<script type="text/javascript">
jQuery(document).ready(function($) {
JIRA.bind(JIRA.Events.NEW_CONTENT_ADDED, function (e, context) {
callChangeFunction();
});
callChangeFunction();
function callChangeFunction(){
showHidField();
// dropdown custom field change function
$("#customfield_10001").change(function() {
showHidField();
});

}

function showHidField(){
//drop down field selected value
var dropDownFieldval =$.trim($("#customfield_10001 :selected").text());
//test field1
$("#customfield_10000").closest('div.field-group').hide();
if(dropDownFieldval == 'Access'){
$("#customfield_10000").closest('div.field-group').show();
}if(dropDownFieldval == 'Fault'){
$("#customfield_10000").closest('div.field-group').show();
}
}

});

</script>

I dont see any errors but when i replace #customfield_10001 with a system field (Ex. #issuetype) it does not work. However it works for custom fields.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2018

Is the intention to use this on a Jira screen or the Customer Portal.

On a Jira screen.

MCjiraLearner June 11, 2019

Hi,

I'd like to do something similar on the customer portal. I'm using Jira cloud. Any ideas how I can accomplish this? Thanks.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2019

This question is a year and a half old and did not consider Cloud at all. Consider opening a new one that is more relevant. 

Suggest an answer