Display sub-tasks under "Issues in Epic"

Kathrine Lauritzen June 18, 2014

When creating tasks under an Epic, they show up under "Issues in Epic" in the Epic. In that view it would be great to see the sub-tasks tied to the tasks. To get the full overview so to speak. Is that possible?

4 answers

3 votes
Kathrine Lauritzen June 19, 2014

Thank you both. I am new to the JIRA agile world and sense I haven't been precise. In the below screendump I have highlighted the sec where I want to be able to view the sub tasks. So when I am in the EPIC I can see "Issues in Epic" and below each of these I want to see the related sub-tasks.

Make sense? And is it doable?

Ryan Buono November 9, 2020

What you're asking makes perfect sense and I see no way of accomplishing it (6 years later lol). Did you ever resolve this issue?

Currently if I'm in an Epic, I need to drill down into an Issue to see Subtasks associated with the Epic... this makes is really hard to manage tasks from within an Epic at a glance.

Like Paul McKinley likes this
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 9, 2020

Hi @Ryan Buono 

If you are using Jira server, you might want to try out our addon to get your complete Epic Hierarchy.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status 

It will provide you the below features

• Sum up your Epic's Time Spent, Original Estimate, Time Remaining, and Percent Complete
  • Display and manage Epics/Issues of your project
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion and at issue level as well
  • JQL based Time in Status Report

Epic Tree Screen_Hierarchy_New.PNG

Ryan Buono November 9, 2020

Hi Rahul, I appreciate the reply and suggestion. We are on Jira Cloud, however. 

Regards,

Ryan

Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 6, 2020

Hi @Ryan Buono 

We have published the cloud version of our add-on.

You might want to try it out.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status 

Thanks

0 votes
Kim White April 18, 2018

Hi, 

I am having the same issue as Katherine. Our executive team uses a Kanban to look at all issues across all Epics that we use to separate clients. Within my Epic I have a list of issues that each have sub-tasks. It would be beneficial that while I am looking at the list of issues within my Epic that I could have a dropdown to show the sub-tasks within each issue all on the main Epic page. This would be extremely helpful. Jira_Epic_Issues.PNG

0 votes
Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2014

Hey Kathrine,

I'm imagining you're trying to view the subtasks in Agile. Are you using SCRUM or Kanban? Are you trying to see these on the Plan or View screen?

Unfortunately there's no way to view sub-tasks in the Plan screen, due to Agile methodology. However, if you have the Parent issue in the board (for Work Mode) there are a few options for display. I'd point you to this documentation to see if going through these steps will help your setup: https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=219024697

0 votes
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2014

Do you mean showing sub-tasks in the Plan mode? If so

The Scrum board does not include the Subtask in the Plan mode - for detailed view of the Subtask, the Work mode can be used. You can also see the Sub-tasks when seeing an issue's details in the Plan mode (the panel on the right side).

You can see the entire discussion regarding this on GHS-6825.

I hope this helps.

Source: Myself on https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/306729:P

Suggest an answer